Thread: How can I delete some system restore points ?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default How can I delete some system restore points ?

hi !

how can i delete system restore points ?

i want to delete some of my (already existing) points.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You cannot delete "some". It is all or nothing. There are various ways of doing that, but the easiest is in: Advanced System Settings > System Protection > Configure

hi !

roraniel: no, System Restore Manager can NOT delete already existing points, i already tried it.
    it can only delete points that has been created by System Restore Manager.

whs:
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    You cannot delete "some". It is all or nothing. There are various ways of doing that, but the easiest is in: Advanced System Settings > System Protection > Configure
    itīs all or "all except the latest", thatīs why i asked.
    i was thinking maybe there was some "hidden" command that could be used.
    this is VERY stupid, that you canīt select which points to delete....

in my case i want to delete all points except the OLDEST, because now that i have restored my system to the OLDEST point, why keep all the never points ?
    they are just wasting space that i want for new points.
    the problem is that when i create new points, then i will lose my OLDEST point when the reserved space has been filled.

anyway, while waiting for an answer iīve found another way of doing it,
    if i restore my system to the OLDEST point, then delete all points and make a new point, then i have deleted all never.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

There is a thread here asking if one could delete system restore points selectively. It was my understanding that since they were linked together, you could not. I asked Microsoft and they too said one cannot.

Then someone pointed out that one could do so with Tune Up Utilities. I also think you can do so with System Restore Manager, although I have not tried either of the two.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Glad I happened upon this thread. The answer is simple. Through Microsofts built in Function, NO, you cannot delete the Restore Points selectively. As WHS pointed out. It's either all or none as Windows uses a system to remove Restore points as Space runs out.
    The question whether System Restore Manager can remove them is YES. I designed the application to remove any or all. All you need to do is select the Restore Point you want to remove and click Delete Selected. The difference between my application and Tuneup Utilities is Yes, you can remove them selectively but Tuneup Utilities does not allow you to remove them all. It will disallow you selecting the newest Restore Point created. I did not do this to System Restore Manager.

Hackerman, if you had trouble removing them, please leave feedback in the applications forum thread and I'll have a look, as the application should have allowed you to remove any Restore Point on your system, not just the ones created by the application.

I thought about it for a sec, and yes, Windows 7 (not sure about Vista), you can remove all but latest using the Disk Cleanup Utility
    Last edited by LeeW; 25th August 2010 at 04:56. Reason: Error correction

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

This problem led me to use imges rather than restore points. The images I can manage myself. I use free Macrium, but there are, of course, many other fine programs that can do that. Macrium seems to be the easiest and most transparent and the Windows7 built-in imaging is the most complex (in my experience).
    Last edited by whs; 25th August 2010 at 13:40.

L.W: when i started "System Restore Manager" it didnīt show ANY restore points at all, thats why i assumed it couldnīt delete points except its "own".
    so my problem was not DELETING points with "System Restore Manager"...

yes, after checking the help-files i found that Disk Cleanup Utility can remove "all but the latest"...

iīm going to use your "System Restore Manager" and create points, that should be really good help for me.
    iīve had some issuses lately with Online Armor, when recovering from hibernation i get an errormessage about Online Armor Miniport: "device driver not installed".
    everything works perfectly when i restore my system from a backup, but when i install all the new security updates from Microsoft then the problem starts again.
    so i have tried creating several restore points and installing the updates a few at a time trying to find the problem.

whs: Macrium is good to have, i have restored my backup several times already,
    but in this case i need multiple restore points so i can find the update that is causing my problems.

anyway, iīll create a new thead about those OA-problems...

L.W: System Restore Manager SHOWS all restore points !

now i started it using "Run as Administrator"...

it was late & i was very tired the first time i tried it, so i didnīt realize it needed an ADMIN-account, when i start it using my USER-account it shows NO points.