DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Defender: Application Not Found!

Mooncrow is offline New Member

Default Windows Defender: Application Not Found!

Hi.
    My laptop has been working fine until today.

I'm on Windows 7 Home Premium.

I used 'Ultimate Windows Tweaker v 2.1' to change the setting and stop windows from automatically restarting after an update.

When i re-started after making the change i had a message that there was a problem with 'Windows Defender'. When i tried to start it manually i had the message 'Application Not Found'.

I downloaded the 'latest' version of Defender to try and re-install it but it kept telling me that Defender was already installed.

I also tried using a command line as follows:

msiexec /uninstall windowsdefenderx64.msi
    and
    msiexec /uninstall windowsdefender.msi

for the x64 and the standard versions of Windows Defender, BUT, i just got a message back that it could not be uninstalled because it's not installed.

I'm at a loss, so i'll disable Defender and hope that my AVG prtects me.

If anyone can help ........
    Last edited by Mooncrow; 26th August 2010 at 13:35.

JustNC is offline Beginner

Well thats embrassing , as you said you can not reinstall windows defender as you got message windows defender is already installed , I suggest you to revert the changes made by you using 'Ultimate Windows Tweaker v 2.1' then restart pc . If it wont work then google & download uninstaller softwares there are lots more available then install it & using it uninsall windows defender first & then try to install "latest' version of Defender you downloaded.

Best of Luck
    JustNC

Mooncrow is offline New Member

Default Uninstallers

Thanks for that.
    I ran 'Ultimate Windows Tweaker 2.1' but it looks as though it didn't change anything in the first place.

I've got 'Revo Uninstaller Pro', (registered), but it doesn't show 'Defender'.
    Can you recommend any other uninstaller?.

Thanks

JustNC is offline Beginner

Use Windows 7 Manager the uninstaller in it works good , if it won't help you then go to perfect uninstaller or total uninstaller.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Go to start menu and type cmd in the search box and right click on command prompt (cmd icon) and click on run as Administrator. Then type sfc /scannow (note the space - it's important) and let the program run. This fixes many system file errors and problems. When it's done (and assuming it completed with no errors it couldn't fix) you should try again to open defender again (type defender in the search box and click on Windows Defender). Let us know if that works.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

You can't re-install or un-install Windows Defender in Windows Vista and Windows 7... do one thing.
    Run Ultimate Windows Tweaker and go to particular settings... Use Restore Default and then Apply to revert changes.

sonylaptop is offline New Member

Default Cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, help me please

hello,

i cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, what can i do ?

problem happened after windows 7 update, then after restart windows defender asked me to restart again, and then blue screen or auto restart forever.

i would like to disable or uninstall windows defender as i can access the command prompt but i can't find how to do ?

And do you know how to uninstall windows latest update with command prompt ?

Thanks for help.

wptski is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by sonylaptop View Post
    hello,

i cannot start my windows 7 in safe more or use recovery function, what can i do ?

problem happened after windows 7 update, then after restart windows defender asked me to restart again, and then blue screen or auto restart forever.

i would like to disable or uninstall windows defender as i can access the command prompt but i can't find how to do ?

And do you know how to uninstall windows latest update with command prompt ?

Thanks for help.
    Do you have a W7 Repair/Recovery Disc? You boot from that and that allows you do a system restore. You may have a point created by Windows before it did the update, although one time, one of those didn't work but one I created did.

sonylaptop is offline New Member

yes i tried all the restore points already and none works.

still stuck.

i would like to know how to disable / uninstall windows defender antivirus in the register if possible ?

or any other way ?

thanks.

wptski is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by sonylaptop View Post
    yes i tried all the restore points already and none works.

still stuck.

i would like to know how to disable / uninstall windows defender antivirus in the register if possible ?

or any other way ?

thanks.
    Are you refering to the W7 SP1 update?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast