Thread: Windows Update & System Restore Points BUG ?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Default Windows Update & System Restore Points BUG ?

hi !

2 days ago on 100830 (Aug 30) i restored my system to a System Restore Point
    created a few days earlier, on 100826 (Aug 26).

as i understand it, everything that has been installed AFTER the System Restore Point are then lost, including security-patches from Windows Update etc.
    but when i yesterday realized that my system restore had removed the patch for KB2264107, (Windows6.1-KB2264107-x86.msu)
    which i installed 100828 (Aug 28), i decided to install it again.

but to my BIG surprise the installer told me that it was: "already installed" !?
    i started Windows Update, it reports all those updates installed AFTER the System Restore Point are STILL installed !?

i double-checked KB2264107, there is NO entry in the registry for that patch !
    and of course there should not be any since i restored my system...

so the BIG question now is: why does Windows Update say that updates installed AFTER creation of the System Restore Point still are installed ?
    fx. several updates from 100828 (Aug 28).

this must be a BUG ?

and System Restore still shows all System Restore Points created AFTER 100926 (Aug 26), should they not have been removed "automatically" ?

any comments, L.W (and others)?

update:

i removed the "installed" (?) KB2264107, i then rebooted, ran the installer again & then checked the registy, there is still NO entry !?

i dont know what updates i REALLY have installed now, it looks like ill have to restore my System Backup, and start all over again with reinstalling the latest "Windows Updates"...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 1st September 2010 at 18:27.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

I have had this issue in the past myself. Had installed some software......., used system restore and low and behold the software wasn't installed but there were files, including the install location, start menu....... still remaining. Tried reinstalling and it told me it was installed. I have honestly never thought anymore of it, other than thinking it was a bug myself, but I'll look and see what I can find out. I have an idea why, but I am going to research it some before I toss an opinion

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

thanks, good to hear that im not alone...
    as you know, ive had some problems lately, so i started to wonder what was going on...

anyway, yesterday i restored my backup, so im starting all over again, reinstalling all the latest security-updates.
    but now at least i know which updates to avoid, since the last 4 i installed caused my OA-problem to reappear...
    Last edited by hackerman1; 2nd September 2010 at 15:51.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

My guess would be that some of that stuff is stored in the AppData folder. And since the AppData folder is part of the user data (which is not being restored by system restore), the problem occurs.