DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Is there a way to ensure the Windows Copy command works without error ?

will2 is offline New Member

Default Is there a way to ensure the Windows Copy command works without error ?

Hi all,

After copying some large zipped multimedia files from internal HDD to my USB archive drive (a 1TB WD Passport) to free up space on C:, I recently found when unzipping the .RARs, 7z is reporting CRC errors on some of the archives. Now when I move files from C: to the USB drive, I do a test unzip to see if errors have been introduced. If so, repeating the Copy operation usually results in an error free copy. However, having to check each 'Copy' operation loses much valuable time and is very inconvenient. Unfortunately, I deleted some of my earlier archives before discovering this fault.

I have laptops with Win7 & WinXP.

Does the Windows Copy command not automatically do a CRC check like 7z or JDownloader ? If not, is there a small utility I can add to Windows (XP & 7) that can make the windows 'Copy' cmmd warn users if a Copied file is not 100% like the original ?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Here is an interesting article. It may not be exactly what you are looking for, but it tells you how to fix CRC errors. How do I fix a cyclic redundancy check error when I try to copy a file?

will2 is offline New Member

Thanks for your reply. (I am a new member, having joined to get tips to fix above issue, thought I had enabled email Notification of reply in Settings, got none, so only just seen your reply)

I read the article, which focuses on infrequent checking of HDD integrity by dropping down to DOS cmmds to 1) chk the src file isn't corrupt - 2) recover as much of corrupted src file as poss (Make Exact Copy) - 3) use tool to repair src file /buy new HDD

I moved from DOS to Windows decades back obviously for faster productivity. (I remember & used Gibsons Spinrite in the old days of DOS and ST506 10MB HDDs). As stated, repeating the Copy operation usually results in error-free copy 2nd time - which indicates my src files are good - (although of no point other to prove the src is good, when encountering a problem moving 'bigfile's to external archive, I did test unzips to temp folder on C: to see if Copy problem was C: to C: also - and thats without having to descend into very slow/laborious DOS cmmds). That article focused on locating physical problems with hard-disks and to my surprise sending them off to be repaired. As it happens both the laptop and my external 1Terrabyte WesternDigital Passport are just months old and with data being so important, I was careful to install the very useful 'CrystalDiskInfo' utility that (quietly discretely) monitors internal and external HDD temperatures and other S.M.A.R.T parameters, and warns you with a popup if any exceed safe values. To date, neither C: or the WD log any Errors. For that reason, I felt reasonably confident my HDDs were ok. However, I have often felt the quality of MS OS suspect, but never had time to research the internals. I guess no hardware or software is 100% reliable, BUT I would have thought something so fundamental to an OS as the 'Copy' cmmd, would have built-in checking that each Copy operation, using at least a method similar to in my post, CRC etc, to CONFIRM the copied file matches the src - no matter if the copy is to the same, an external USB, or a network drive. A good software check (built into the Copy cmmd) obviously will automatically flag a problem if any of the pertinent hardware, internal busses, USB sockets/plus, cable. HDDs etc is introducing data errors.

Hence my 1st question: does Windows 7 & XP 'Copy' cmmd have that error checking ?

As an aside, what interested me about that article was that it said the underlying DOC Copy cmmd automatically signals the user by stopping on Error by default - yet my Win 7 'Copy' cmmd did not. Is this not a failure of Windows, not reporting errors ?

I use my laptops heavily, constantly doing file management to/from my external WD Passport to stop the 'free disk space' on C: dropping below what I read was Windows XP's critical 15% level for 'safe' operation. I have deep folder trees to manage thousands of topics, and what with the aforementioned space management, it is not practical to do this in DOS as daily routine.

So my 2nd question, in the hope this apparent weakness of the MS OS had been addressed by 3rd party utilities, was if you can recommend a utility that hopefully works in conjunction with the Windows 'Copy' cmmd, by automatically performing a CRC on src and copied file, and flagging any error in a popup (like the unobtrusive CrystalDiskinfo mentioned earlier). A less desirable alternative: a 3rd party utility, once installed could 'hijack' the Windows 'Copy/Paste' UI, to keep the same productive UI. BTW: reason I suggested CRC, is that GOOD software like J-Downloader etc does this check, as a full byte-by-byte 'File Compare' as used in Backup products, would obviously put unacceptable load/delay on daily copy operations.

grokdesign is offline New Member

TeraCopy (codesector.com) does exactly what you want. It can be set as the default copy/paste handler and/or can be added to the right-click context menu. It does CRC checks on all copied files.