Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: New to Win7 - taskbar thumbnail preview problem & one other thing

  1. #1
    Cloudchase's Avatar
    Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    51

    Default New to Win7 - taskbar thumbnail preview problem & one other thing

    Last week, I replaced my 5 year olf laptop with a Windows 7 laptop.

    I noticed that although I can turn off grouping of taskbar buttons, there is no option to turn off the thumbnail preview that appears when I mouse over the taskbar buttons.



    Microsoft's developers know that users hate it when they get pop-ups in their web browser, why in the world did the developers think that people would like having pop-ups on their system with no way of turning them off?

    When I installed the Win7 version of Tweak UI as seen here on The Windows Club, I was glad to see that it had an option for "disable auto peek to preview the desktop," but it doesn't work, the taskbar button thumbnail previews still appear. How do I fix this so that those thumbnail previews won't appear?

    In my googling, I've found several pages telling how to do it starting with typing regedit in the start menu search box and ending with "Log off or restart your system to take effect," but that does not work even though I follow instructions to the letter.

    I also found several pages with a set of instructions that start with typing gpedit.msc into the start menu search box to open the Local Group Policy Editor, but that doesn't work either. When I type in gpedit.msc, nothing appears in the initial search results (unlike when I type in regedit) and when I hit enter, I get a Windows Explorer window saying that nothing was found. If can't open Local Group Policy Editor, I can't even try that option.


    .................................................. .........................................


    You know how regardless of the view or sort by setting, files in a Windows Explorer window are shown on the left and that "preview" area is on the right?I would prefer that the preview area not be so large and the line between the preview area and where the files are shown stay where I want it to be instead of resetting to it's default position of being as far to the left as it can go. How do I get that line to stay where I want it to be? I know I can turn the preview off, but I don't want to do that.

    My preference for the view in Windows Explorer is "list" and "sort by name." How do I get that and the above mentioned preview line setting to apply to the folder I'm viewing and *all* of its subfolders?


    .................................................. .........................................


    How do I turn off auto-sort? In WinXP, I liked it that if I renamed one or more files in an Windows Explorer window and that file stayed where it was at until I refreshed the folder. Or if I copy/pasted one or more files from one folder to another, they appeared at the end of the list until I refreshed the folder.

    Now if I rename a file, it instantly moves to its new position according to by name instead of staying where it was until I refresh the folder. Same for files copy/pasted from one folder to another.

    That slows me down if I want to rename several files and so I'd rather that files stay where they are until I tell the folder to refresh.

  2. #2
    Elmer B.'s Avatar
    Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    145

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudchase View Post
    When I installed the Win7 version of Tweak UI as seen here on The Windows Club, I was glad to see that it had an option for "disable auto peek to preview the desktop," but it doesn't work, the taskbar button thumbnail previews still appear. How do I fix this so that those thumbnail previews won't appear?
    The disable Aero peek isn't the thumbnails. On the far right end of your taskbar, next to the clock, is a "glass" (Aero Peek) button. If you hover on that it will show you the desktop through empty windows frames. If you click on it it shows you the desktop like the XP show desktop button.

    I've tried reg tweaks to disable the thumbnails you are on about but they don't work for me.
    What does work though is changing the display time from the default of 0.5 seconds. When I'm using Photoshop I set mine to 60 seconds and, unless I'm really slow, I don't see them.
    60 seconds delay:
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
    "MouseHoverTime"="60000"
    Default 0.5 seconds delay
    Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
    
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Mouse]
    "MouseHoverTime"="500"
    Re-boot required. Logging off/on doesn't seem to kick it in. (Now I gotta re-boot to set it back to default again!!)


    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudchase View Post
    If I can't open Local Group Policy Editor, I can't even try that option.
    Gpedit.msc isn't included in versions below Professional.

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudchase View Post
    You know how regardless of the view or sort by setting, files in a Windows Explorer window are shown on the left and that "preview" area is on the right?I would prefer that the preview area not be so large and the line between the preview area and where the files are shown stay where I want it to be instead of resetting to it's default position of being as far to the left as it can go. How do I get that line to stay where I want it to be? I know I can turn the preview off, but I don't want to do that.
    There's a queue of folks looking for that answer (last time I looked anyway!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Cloudchase View Post
    How do I turn off auto-sort? In WinXP, I liked it that if I renamed one or more files in an Windows Explorer window and that file stayed where it was at until I refreshed the folder. Or if I copy/pasted one or more files from one folder to another, they appeared at the end of the list until I refreshed the folder.

    Now if I rename a file, it instantly moves to its new position according to by name instead of staying where it was until I refresh the folder. Same for files copy/pasted from one folder to another.

    That slows me down if I want to rename several files and so I'd rather that files stay where they are until I tell the folder to refresh.
    This link may help you on that one. There are other links, that's just the first one I found.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 1st November 2010 at 14:30. Reason: clarification

  3. #3
    LeeW is offline Gold Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    741

    Default

    To get back the option to turn auto arrange off you can download Folder Background Changer . It is mainly for adding back the ability to folder backgrounds but the dll it uses switches Windows 7 to use a class file that Windows XP used. Alternatively if you would like to add it to properties window you can download a similar app from my Deviantart called AveFolderBG .

  4. #4
    Cloudchase's Avatar
    Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Thanx for both of your repies! They are appreciated!

    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    The disable Aero peek isn't the thumbnails....
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    Gpedit.msc isn't included in versions below Professional
    Ah, that explains it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    What does work though is changing the display time....
    Tried that, changed it from 400 to 60000, rebooted, no more taskbar thumbnail :-)


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    There's a queue of folks looking for that answer
    Hopefully, Microsoft will notice and fix that.


    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    This link may help you on that one
    Looked at it, decided it's too technical for me, but thanx anyway :-)


    Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    To get back the option to turn auto arrange off
    Not willing to install a program for that one thing, but thanx anyway :-)

  5. #5
    Seronac is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3

    Default

    I have the opposite problem, I want to be able to tell a taskbar preview window to stay open, so I can monitor one program while working in another. Any ideas on how to do that?

  6. #6
    Aedan is offline New Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2

    Default

    I just want to thank you for sharing this solution.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22