DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Kernel event ID 41 error

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Default Windows Kernel event ID 41 error

Hi folks, I am new to the forum. I am hoping to get your help here and I appreciate your care.

I have switched to Windows 7 a year ago. After using XP for a very long time, I assembled a new PC.
    I am only disappointed by one problem that's annoying.

My problem:
    I have a once or twice in a month hang, (and recently became more.) that happens when only Windows loads up, and notification area icons, the network icon, is refreshing, trying to connect to internet.
    Computer works perfectly all day when it's on, but just hang happens once or twice in a month, just after turning it on, and a second after Windows desktop appears. (And recently, just in the Windows login page where you enter for password.)

I did update BIOS before, and right after Windows installation, did update chipset drivers, then VGA driver, LAN Driver, and after all the updating drivers, did Windows Update since the driver versions on Windows Updater usually are older, so it’s better to install the latest and then go to windows update, thus avoiding the installation of an unnecessary intermediate version of the drivers. I did update all important items in Windows update, but not all the optional ones.

I am sick of the hang. I read about it the error in event viewer and its Windows Kernel event ID 41 error. I read about it on thewindowsclub.com/fix-windows-kernel-event-id-41-error-the-system-has-rebooted-without-cleanly-shutting-down-first Fix:Windows Kernel event ID 41 error - The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first.

And this post exactly explains my problem: uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20101006112511AAtHYmT Why does my computer freeze randomly? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers

I did Advanced Memory Diagnostic on Windows 7, with Memtest86+ [ thewindowsclub.com/advanced-memory-diagnostic-on-windows-7-with-memtest86].No errors found.

My friend also was experienced the same problem of visual corruption of Windows gadgets that I have had once or twice and he told me:

"About visual corruption of Windows gadgets, I had the problem myself a few days ago, it was due to badly seated RAM modules. You may want to run a memory diagnostic (in the administrative tools in the control panel, there is one utility, or you can use memtest86+) if the hang happens again."

I clean installed Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit.

RAM:CORSAIR CM2X2048 DDR2, totall 4GB memory.
    MOBO: Intel DP43TF
    CPU:Core 2 Quad Q8200
    VGA: Geforce 8400GS
    HDD:Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
    Power supply: Cooler Mastere Xtreme Power Plus 460W 120mm fan

I also use UPS. Do you think it's because of UPS, as a commenter posted on the second link above ?
    Last edited by AHS0; 3rd November 2010 at 10:50. Reason: misspelled a word

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hello and Welcome !

We need some information to troubleshoot such issues. Follow this thread and upload the files to Windows Sky Drive and post the link here BSOD Kernel Dump & System File Collection - jcgriff2.com

Good Luck,
    Captain

Hi, I am almost done . should i also save the AutoRuns? I created AutoRuns.arn info. but you don't mention to include it in the zip file.

I sent it to you via PM. I cannot put URL here. I wait for you. Thx.

Hello,

I was looking at files. As far I can see i don't see any software issue. One important few things i noticed. Please follow the steps.

1, UAC is disabled i strongly recommend to enable it
    2, Install an Antivirus i didn't see one there. I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials
    3, Run a complete scan on your Computer. Then Download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan as well.
    4, Start | Run | CMD | SFC /SCANNOW (Post us the CBS Log)
    5, Run a Hardware Diagnostic (Hard disk, Display etc.) follow this link for instructions Hardware Diagnostic !! « Captain Debugger

Hope this helps,
    Captain

Dear Capt.Jack, I appreciate your care.
    1.User Account Control (UAC) is Not a Security Tool
    The fact of the matter is that unless you've pushed the UAC slider all the way to the top, it's not meant to be a security feature. The original intent was to change the way Windows works so that you can more easily run software as a standard user account, instead of running as administrator all the time. So there you have it—if you aren't going to run as a standard user or turn the slider all the way to the top, you may as well disable UAC.
    From lifehacker.com/5401453/stop-paying-for-windows-security-microsofts-security-tools-are-good-enough]Stop Paying for Windows Security; Microsoft's Security Tools Are Good Enough

That above paragraph says ‘If you aren't going to run as a standard user or turn the slider all the way to the top, you may as well disable UAC.” That’s why I did.

2.Use MSE for now.
    3.Run Malwarebytes with its default setting. Quick Scan.
    4 and 5: I will get back to you with them ASAP. Again Thanks.

I mentioned before, I run MemTest86+ (Downloaded the ISO image)for 25 hrs and didn't find anything. Also later run Prime95 for 10 minutes and it found nothing. (selected "Just stress testing"
    and selected the "Blend" test)

BTW, do you recommend to apply this BSOD tip:
    Help Troubleshoot the Blue Screen of Death by Preventing Automatic Reboot howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/help-troubleshoot-the-blue-screen-of-death-by-preventing-automatic-reboot
    I just had once BSOD in my one year Windows 7 experience.

I don't believe that will help because after it automatically reboot the Dump files is what help us in finding the cause of BSOD. Regarding the UAC it's like making it standard which is a good thing. The security is essential for your own protection. This will restrict from Malware or Viruses to run on your Computer with admin privileges so you'll protected. There will be lot of arguments out there about it. But most of the security experts say to leave it on. For Malwarebytes run a complete scan. Quick scan usually doesn't help much. Once you do a Complete scan later on you can do a quick scan.

Hope this helps,
    Captain

Thanks Captain. Just a brief question since I am about to go to step 4 and 5. The link on #4, you mentioned about System File Checker, I also read about it on The Windows Club: How to Run System File Checker & Interpret its logs in Windows 7 & Vista in which there is about
    alternative way to run System File Checker:
    Alternatively, you can also download our very useful freeware utility FixWin and click on the System File Checker Utility button. This will run sfc.exe.
    Do you recommend to use FixWin to run sfc, or use it only when unable to start the System File Checker via command prompt? As mentioned there:
    In case you are unable to start the System File Checker and you instead get the “Windows Resource Protection Could Not Start the Repair Service” error, you may want to check up if your Windows Modules Installer service has been Disabled. To do so, type services.msc in start search and hit Enter. The status of this services should be set to Manual.

Alternatively, you can also download our very useful freeware utility FixWin and click on the System File Checker Utility button. This will run sfc.exe.
    Second question is that do I need to backup my data before running sfc, or its not important?

The SFC /SCANNOW part can’t hurt. As it checks the hashes of system files to see if any are corrupted, which can lead to crashes, and be caused by a defective hdd or southbridge. Right?

Regarding the hardware diagnostic part, I did most of it already (prime95, memtest86+), furmark remains, also doing a hard drive diagnostic with the manufacturer’s tool. It will rule out options, which is a good thing in that it will help narrowing down the problem for sure. I doubt that the problem comes from the HDD, but this will allow to make sure of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt.Jack View Post
    Hello,

I was looking at files. As far I can see i don't see any software issue. One important few things i noticed. Please follow the steps.

1, UAC is disabled i strongly recommend to enable it
    2, Install an Antivirus i didn't see one there. I would recommend Microsoft Security Essentials
    3, Run a complete scan on your Computer. Then Download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan as well.
    4, Start | Run | CMD | SFC /SCANNOW (Post us the CBS Log)
    5, Run a Hardware Diagnostic (Hard disk, Display etc.) follow this link for instructions Hardware Diagnostic !! « Captain Debugger

Hope this helps,
    Captain
    Hi Capitan,
    step 4.
    It found nothing. So I don't think you need to look and
    interpret the log file entries, right?
    Note: Couldn’t scan E when typed: chkdsk/E
    Why?

step5: did the HDD test, quick test and found nothing.
    downloaded Furmakr from FurMark: VGA Stress Test, Graphics Card and GPU Stability Test, Burn-in Test, OpenGL Benchmark and GPU Temperature | oZone3D.Net
    and running it, temp went to 74 and mouse was moving slow. I quite that.
    Where to find its longs if any?!

Do you think the problem is from my intel MOBO?
    Maybe getting ASUS P5Q-VM Motherboard will help me to see where is the problem. if not mobo, then it might be CPU? Do I test my CPU with Download cpuburn 1.4 Free - A tool designed to load x86 CPUs as heavily as possible for the purposes of system testing - Softpedia

When assembling my PC, I connected the Cooler Master case’s USB connectors to the MOBO and its cable got hot ( I touched that it was hot) then turn the PC off and removed the cable. Then I use the MOBO's USB ports without problem.
    My other friend told me he never connects the USB of case to MOBO. They are corrupted most of time. Would cause my MOBO get defeated in some minor parts, hard to diagnose, determine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast