Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows Update Problems

Tantalid is offline Beginner

Question Windows Update Problems

I cannot seem to find a post that addresses the problem I am experiancing. If there are some, I apologize !!! Anyway, I have Windows Updates set to DL the updates and let me know so I can "Choose" which ones I want or need. Most of the time everything is Okee Dokey BUT, like this evening for instance, I am offered 2 particular files, one for IE8 and another for the "Malicious Software" prog that is installed along with Win 7 (Excellent OS methinks !! ) However I don't use either feature so I opted out for them, Windows Update recognizes this fact with the notice that neither of the updates are selected. I say "OK", and the offer stays down below in the manager. I reboot my PC and when it comes back up, the Windows Update icon has gone, but awhile later it comes back with the same offering????? Well, that's it. I thank you for your help !!!!

Later....

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

When you "deselected" the updates, did you r-click the updates in question and select the "Hide update" option? You won't (shouldn't!!) see it again unless you "un-hide" it.

Personally, I'd set updates to never download and I always do a quick manual check. But that's my personal opinion.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 4th December 2010 at 06:12.

Smile Howdy Elmer !!!

Appreciate the reply !!! Will check that out, and I believe I'm in agreement in that I'm going to go ahead and not DL 'nuttin for awhile to see how that works out, just check ever so often. Once again, Thanks !!!

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Even I set to inform me but dont download, so that I can see what is being installed.

And as Elmer suggested, you can Hide the updates you dont want.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Even I set to inform me but dont download, so that I can see what is being installed.

And as Elmer suggested, you can Hide the updates you dont want.
    Thanks HappyAndy !!!! Appreciate the reply !

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Elmer B. View Post
    When you "deselected" the updates, did you r-click the updates in question and select the "Hide update" option? You won't (shouldn't!!) see it again unless you "un-hide" it.

Personally, I'd set updates to never download and I always do a quick manual check. But that's my personal opinion.
    Me too, set updates to never download. But downloading MSE, and WLM, did changed the update setting. and i had to revert setting back.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by AHS0 View Post
    Me too, set updates to never download. But downloading MSE, and WLM, did changed the update setting. and i had to revert setting back.
    Yes, they know best! You should have updates set to automatically download and install. I don't think.

A good pointer there, AHSO, when you install anything Windows based, check your update settings for un-authorised changes.

AHS0 is offline Senior Member

Yes, as you said:
    when you install anything Windows based, check your update settings for un-authorised changes.
    I hope they fix this in Windows 8!

skimskim is offline New Member

I hope so too.

Default Windows Update Problems.....

Well, I went and did as suggested (telling the Updates I don't want to hide themselves) and setting the Updates options to never do me any "favors" (I can check for updates my own self) and everything seems to be just wunnerful...... Many Thanks folks !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast