DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Relocate Windows 7 update uninstall folders?

Denan is offline New Member

Smile Relocate Windows 7 update uninstall folders?

Since there appears to be a variety of solutions with regard to my question, I would like to pose a twist I have not found. I use a 64GB SSD for my Win 7 Pro and I am concerned about eventually running out of space.

Where I can, I install programs to my drive D and I have relocated any data file folders (My Documents, Pictures, Music, Videos, email messages and contacts, Favorites, Downloads, etc.) to drive D, also. I have moved the swap file to drive E since I am using 8GB of RAM (and will be adding more later on) as well as installed XP Pro mode on drive E. Drives D & E are separate physical 1TB SATA drives.

So, with all this available space, is there a way to relocate (move) the baggage that is created by the Windows 7 service packs and updates uninstall folders? If the system can be made to recognize such a relocation, wouldn't that solve the problem for me and shed some light for others who are wondering how to solve the problem using other ways.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I do not think one can relocate such files/folders. In any case, which Windows 7 Update uninstall folders are you referring to? Because, unlike in XP, Vista or Windows 7 downloads the new system files only and replaces them on our PC, and hence you don't see $NtUninstall, etc folders in Vista or W7.

Incidentally, the Windows Installer folder and the WinSxS folder also take up the most space in the Windows folder and unfortunately there is not much we can do with that.

Denan is offline New Member

Thanks, Andy. I am determined to find a solution to this. I have a few contacts who can pass my question to MS tech support who might listen. SSD front ends will be the great leap forward and will ultimately prompt lower costs and new concepts in program storage activity. Meanwhile, I have to struggle with a 64GB SSD and live in fear as to how to handle the loss of available free space. Here's an idea I'm muddling around. If there are folders that contain programs that are used seldom or just for uninstallation pruposes, why not move them to another drive until you need to put them back to perform the uninstall? A few other thoughts unrelated to this: (1) Is the swap file necessary for an SSD? If it is, is there a different criteria to establish the size? (2) Is there a need to defrag an SSD? If so, can the current Windows defragger do it? If not, what is the consequence if a novice uses a free defragger for Win 7 and performs the defrag on the SSD? (3) Will an SSD create problems for an accurate incremental backup?