DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: How do I uninstall this Win7 update?

Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default How do I uninstall this Win7 update?

I regularly use a remote login service to access my system when I'm away from home. One of the options for that service is that when I'm logged in remotely, my host system's screen is blanked so nobody can see what I'm doing.

To be exact, my host system is a Windows 7 machine that I bought new last October.

While I was at home last Wednesday morning, I noticed that Windows Update offered an optional update for my monitor. I installed it.

When I got to work Wednesday night and logged in to my home system through logmein.com, I got a message saying that the host screen wasn't blanked because the required driver wasn't installed, just like the first time I used the "blank screen" option.

I clicked on the "install" button and in a few seconds, I got a message saying "LogMeIn could not install the DPMS enabled monitor driver...It is most likely because your monitor, video card, motherboard or bios does not support this feature."

The obvious culprit is the update to my monitor, which shows in the update history as "HP - Display - HP w2498 Wide LCD Monitor"

Unfortunately, I can't find how to uninstall that update. The update history says "to remove an update, see installed updates," but that update won't show in that list.

I tried contacting LogMeIn help and was told "You will need to remove that update. You may want to Google on how to remove it."

I tried googling this

remove HP - Display - HP w2498 Wide LCD Monitor

and only got 7 results, none of which were any help at all.

What can I do to uninstall that update and therefore fix this problem?

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Never use Windows Update or Device Manager is the first rule of thumb for driver updates. Update drivers etc. yourself from the manufacturers website.
    Windows Update is known to "update" drivers to older versions.

LogMeIn isn't really Win7 compatible (ignore if not on Win 7!!). The latest driver, I believe, is:
    lmimirr.sys Tue Apr 10 18:32:45 2007. Over a full two years before Win7 was released. That's not your issue though, just a point to be aware of.

To uninstall the Auto Update (never a good idea) you received, GoTo Control Panel >> Windows Update >> View Update History (link on left hand side) >> (click on the) Installed Updates (top of Window).

That will take you to all Windows installed updates and if its uninstallable, it will be listed.

HTH.
    Last edited by Elmer B.; 15th January 2011 at 18:29.

Yep, I'm on Win7. I tried both Installed Updates and Programs & Features and it just isn't listed in either place. I also tried System Restore, but it only lists one restore point dated 1/14 and the update I want to get rid of was installed on 1/12.

I'll try contacting LogMeIn again and see what they say about their driver

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Another option to see what updates were installed on 1/12 is open Control Panel then open Windows Updates. On the left click View Update History, sort by Date and locate the updates for 1/12. If it was a monitor driver that was installed it should be listed as Optional under the Importance Column.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    Another option to see what updates were installed on 1/12 is open Control Panel then open Windows Updates. On the left click View Update History, sort by Date and locate the updates for 1/12. If it was a monitor driver that was installed it should be listed as Optional under the Importance Column.
    Yep, the monitor was listed as optional.

I tried going through Devices & Printers to delete the monitor driver followed by restarting my system. That didn't work. Then I tried shutting down, unplugging the monitor (my system is actually a small laptop) and restarting. The monitor did not show in Devices & Printers.

There were two other updates installed at the same time. Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB976902) which was listed as "important" and Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2454826) which was listed as "recommended"

I'd like to try uninstalling those to see if that fixes the problem with LogMeIn's blank screen option not working, but before I try that, is it possible to reinstall those options at a later date? Will they show in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Windows Update after I uninstall them?

I have two other questions, one relatedto my OP, one related to this forum in general

One, just before making this post, I noticed that I'm getting "HP - Display - HP w2498 Wide LCD Monitor" offered as an "optional" update again, so the above mentioned try at uninstalling the monitor driver did work after all. How do I get Windows Update to stop offering me updates that I don't want?

Two, though my e-mail as shown in my info is correct and my default is set to auto-subscribe to any thread I create or reply to, I still don't get e-mail notifications on threads I'm subscribed to. What can I do to fix that problem?

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

You probably know this, but it bears repeating. Next time you receive the monitor update, right-click it after de-selecting and select hide update. Never to be seen again! (Unless of course you want to).

Be aware also that KB2454826 has caused issues for some Windows 7 users.

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Question 1: If you have uninstalled and update, yes in the future you can install the updates again. Windows Update when run will display them again as an option.
    Question 2: To hide an update, right-click an update and select Hide Update. This will stop it from displaying anymore. To Unhide an update on the left in Windows Update there is an option to Restore Hidden Updates.
    Question 3: To receive email notifications: Go to your account settings, click general settings then under messaging and notification look for: Default Thread Subscription Mode. From there you have a dropdown box where you can select to be email notified.

Hope this helps
    Lee

Got all that! Thanx! :-)

Aedan is offline New Member

Thanks for all of this.