DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: My taskbar/tray keeps disappearing

Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default My taskbar/tray keeps disappearing

Win7 user here.

Several times in the past few days, I have come back to my computer to find that the taskbar/tray isn't showing. It's as if it's set to auto-hide, but it's not set to that.

The Start button shows, but nothing else. The only way I know to get it to show again is to close all programs, log off and log back in again (restarting also has the same effect).

I have no idea what is causing it to do this. It just started doing it for no obvious reason. I have not changed any of my settings, installed/uninstalled any programs and the only system updates in the past week have been a couple of definition updates for windows defender.

I'd very much like to know what could be causing this problem, how to fix it and keep it from happening again and just in case, how to get the taskbar to show again without having to log off/on or restart

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Do you use sleep mode? If so try disabling it and see if you are still having the issue. Sleep Mode while it's intentions are good has a habit of creating odd results for many different machines.

Another problem could be that Explorer is crashing. Try running System File Checker (SFC) and see if you may possibly have a corrupted file that needs to be fixed.
    Open Start Menu\Accessories\ Right-Click Command Prompt and choose Run as Administrator and run the following Command sfc /scannow

I would also recommend scanning your computer with a program such as Malwarebytes to make sure you haven't picked up anything from the internet.

Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast

Nope, I never use sleep mode. And yeah, tl;dr not involving me, I do know how always using it instead of shutting down can cause problems, I always do a full restart every day.

Windows Defender is set to run a full scan once a week.

On another's advice, I had Avast Antivirus to run a full scan. Avast did find something. A trojan hiding in my system restore files. Though I don't know for sure if it was the cause of the problem. I wonder if it was also the cause of my earlier problem of my system being slow to read icons

"Trojan.Dropper.Win32.VB.dzq is a malicious spyware virus which uses malignant tricks to download malicious malware from the Internet. Trojan.Dropper.Win32.VB.dzq opens up firewalls and collects confidential information such as personal financial information. Trojan.Dropper.Win32.VB.dzq also downloads additional components before the hackers get the remote access to the infected PC. Trojan.Dropper.Win32.VB.dzq definitely has an identified security risk and you need to remove Trojan.Dropper.Win32.VB.dzq immediately while you detect it."

The taskbar problem hasn't happened since then. I now have Avast set to do a full scan once a week.

On a totally unrelated note and while I'm thinking about it, you know how in Windows Explorer in Win7, if you highlight up to 15 files, it shows stats like number of files highlighted and the total filesize, but if you highlight 16 or more, it just displays a "show more details" link? Is there a way to set Win7 Windows Explorer so that when I highlight 16 or more, it still shows number of files highlighted and the total filesize like WinXP Windows Explorer did?

LeeW is offline Gold Member

Glad the others issues have so far been remedied and yes it is quite possible the Win32.VB.dzq could have been the cause of the issues.

On another note: I must confess I never knew about the highlighting, LOL. Now that you mention it I went and tried it and you're right. I'll give it a look and see what may be the settings for it if there are any available hidden somewheres.