Thread: Desktop not always showing at startup

Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Desktop not always showing at startup

Windows Vista

When I restarted my system Thursday morning by selecting "restart" (as opposed to shutdown and telling it to start by hitting the power button), everything seemed normal except that after the login screen, all I got was a solid black background with only the mouse cursor showing. No wallpaper, no start bar. There are no icons on my desktop so I don't know whether or not icons would have shown.

I hit the power button to induce a normal shutdown (as opposed to holding it down to force a shutdown) and it appeared to shit down normally. When I restarted, it was fine, everything seemed normal. When I shut it down before I went to bed, that seemed to go normally.

When I started it Thursday evening, I got the solid black desktop after the login screen again. I gave it a 3 finger salute to see what would happen and got the normal list of options. I selected Task Manager and that appeared, but the rest of the desktop was still blacked out. I did a 3 finger salute again, selected log off and after I logged back in, got a normal desktop.

I have no idea what could be causing this. Before the first time it happened as described above, I had not recently installed any programs or even updated any programs. After the 2nd restart Thursday morning, Firefox and CCleaner (correct spelling) updated, but I know that can't have an effect on anything.

Should I be concerned about getting a blacked out screen at startup?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Pls see if this helps you:
    Microsoft releases fix for Windows Vista Black Screen | The Windows Club

Else
    Run system file checker.
    Disable screen saver if you have it enabled and see if it helps.
    Maybe its some device driver acting up...
    Want to try a system restore?

I just realized that I mistakenly said "Windows Vista" when my system is Windows 7. Does that same fix still apply?

Well, $h!t. Shortly after I posted that reply, my OP became irrelevant thanx to a hard drive failure. Good thing I had everything backed up and I still have my old system to use while waiting on a new HD