DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Unable to validate windows 7

flyfisher29 is offline New Member

Default Unable to validate windows 7

Hi all - I purchased a windows 7 Home Premium from Amazon for three computers.
    After doing a clean install, I cannot validate and receive the following message "Code OxCOO4FO61 - The software licencing service determined that this specified product can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations"
    Have I wasted my money? Is there any way the program can be registered?
    Cheers

flyfisher29 is offline New Member

I wasn't aware that there were two versions! The computer I am trying to upgrade is using XP Home. I was told XP could not upgrade to 7 & a clean install is required.
    I have the disk for XP Home, is there a way to upgrade?
    Thanks for your help.
    Cheers

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Looks like you have bought the Upgrade license.

Here are the allowed upgrade paths : Windows 7 Upgrade Paths & Test Matrix | The Windows Club

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

1. Do a clean install at boot without checking the Automatically activate Windows when I'm online box during the installation process.

2. When the installation is finished, then manually activate Windows 7 with your product key number.

SA Jack is offline New Member

I also purchased a Windows 7 Home Premium Family Pack from Amazon several months ago. Of the 3 installations; 2 were upgrades from Vista and 1 from XP. The XP install required a clean installation and the Windows 7 disk accommodated that without any problems. If I recall, it involves choosing a "custom" install from the menu. If memory serves correctly, I think there was also an option to reformat the drive partition as well. I've seen a number of articles on the web showing the procedure. I had checked this out prior to purchase to make sure the 3-pack would serve all 3 of our needs.