DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Backup: Looking for a simple program to take an Image of my C:\ drive

japp is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    A few more ... 7 Freeware Acronis True Image & Norton Ghost Alternatives Pls check if they work on Windows 7 as the post is a bit old
    DriveImage XML V2.22 works with W7, but is to complicated for me. To restore from boot cd they say you must create a WinPE boot CD-ROM and on the other hand they don't recommend to use it......

DiscWizard only works with Seagate disks (as I've read earlier) and doesn't seem to support W7.

Partimage is way above my brain.

EASEUS Todo Backup Home 2.0 - Freeware might be useful.

Macrium Reflect FREE Edition would probably be my choice if I got to know how to use it's odd restore function (only one partition at a time).

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    I have used and tried about a dozen imaging programs. My find is that Macrium is the absolute easiest, fastest and most reliable. I made a video tutorial how to use it including the recovery scenario. But since I cannot link my whole tutorial from another site, here is at least the video: Imaging with Macrium on Vimeo
    My previous test of using Macrimum was very positive. Your video didn't show what puzzles me: How does it work with restoring the System and OS as it can only do one at a time?

I'd most likely be using it if I could understand: How does it work with restoring the System and OS as it can only do one at a time?

I also tested their trial of the paid version which should be able to restore both by clicking on each using ctrl. It didn't work for me. Perhaps a limit in the trial?

wptski is offline Beginner

I started with Paragon B&R2010 Free Advanced version and the media builder or WinPE like Linux based recovery disc wouldn't work on my PC. I was offered a discount for their Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite which comes a WinPE ISO downloadable file. Working with MS on my SP1 update failures and following their exact instructions put me in a no boot situation. They had suggested backing up the desktop, favorites and PST files but not a image of any kind. I had created a image from HDM2011S and Windows also before following their instructions. I used the Paragon WinPE disc to recover my system and it worked perfectly.

This was my first ever recovery. I must add that a Windows created image can also be restored using a W7 Repair/Recovery disc which is really WinRE using WinPE with an added recovery menu.

I've never used B&R2010FA to restore my PC. It's important to have a app that has a WinPE like ability to restore because you may not be able to boot into Windows to run the app.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    I'd most likely be using it if I could understand: How does it work with restoring the System and OS as it can only do one at a time?

I also tested their trial of the paid version which should be able to restore both by clicking on each using ctrl. It didn't work for me. Perhaps a limit in the trial?
    exactly what do you mean by:"System and OS" ?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Thanks Anand for finding that. I did not even remember that it was here. The one I have on the sevenforums is more extensive especially regarding the 100MB active partition. But the OP can always ask and I will be glad to answer questions.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    My previous test of using Macrimum was very positive. Your video didn't show what puzzles me: How does it work with restoring the System and OS as it can only do one at a time?
    Yes, you can only restore one partition at a time, but you can image several partitions in one run (if the XML is defined accordngly). And what do you mean by "Restoring the system and the OS" - the "system" is the "OS". You lost me here unless you are talking about the 100MB active partition which you usually do not restore.
    Last edited by whs; 17th April 2011 at 21:58.

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    I started with Paragon B&R2010 Free Advanced version and the media builder or WinPE like Linux based recovery disc wouldn't work on my PC. I was offered a discount for their Hard Disk Manager 2011 Suite which comes a WinPE ISO downloadable file. Working with MS on my SP1 update failures and following their exact instructions put me in a no boot situation. They had suggested backing up the desktop, favorites and PST files but not a image of any kind. I had created a image from HDM2011S and Windows also before following their instructions. I used the Paragon WinPE disc to recover my system and it worked perfectly.

This was my first ever recovery. I must add that a Windows created image can also be restored using a W7 Repair/Recovery disc which is really WinRE using WinPE with an added recovery menu.

I've never used B&R2010FA to restore my PC. It's important to have a app that has a WinPE like ability to restore because you may not be able to boot into Windows to run the app.
    Yes, and Acronis' boot disk works perfectly. Just that I don't like their program and getting a WinPE disk for others seems to be for highly tech persons,

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Yes, you can only restore one partition at a time, but you can image several partitions in one run (if the XML is defined accordngly). And what do you mean by "Restoring the system and the OS" - the "system" is the "OS". You lost me here unless you are talking about the 100MB active partition which you usually do not restore.
    Showing you a capture of Acronis to show you what I mean:

I don't understand how/what/why with the xml file.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    exactly what do you mean by:"System and OS" ?
    Please see my reply to whs

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast