DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Backup: Looking for a simple program to take an Image of my C:\ drive

japp is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    There are many tutorials out there but some cover WinPE 2.0 but 3.0 came out with W7 and now 3.1 with W7 SP1. Some commands have changed, so the tutorials are outdated. There is even a DISM GUI, so once the base image is created, one can remove/add packages and drivers easily. This saves lots of typing. On my first try I must have typed some lines in six times before I got them correct!
    Well, those tutorials I've seen is to complicated for me.

Downloaded Windows 7 Recovery Disc 64-Bit (x64) Edition from
    Download Windows 7 System Recovery Discs — The NeoSmart Files
    since I came across it now. Not that I'm sure whether or not I need it.

Found DISM GUI 2.0 here:
    DISM GUI 2.0 Mike's Blog
    but I don't know if I'll be able to understand this.

There are many tutorials out there but some cover WinPE 2.0 but 3.0 came out with W7 and now 3.1 with W7 SP1. Some commands have changed, so the tutorials are outdated. There is even a DISM GUI, so once the base image is created, one can remove/add packages and drivers easily. This saves lots of typing. On my first try I must have typed some lines in six times before I got them correct!

Found DISM GUI 2.0 here:
    DISM GUI 2.0 « Mike's Blog

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    It is a normal OEM install. They all have the 100MB active partition. If you were to install it yourself, you probably would not do it like that.
    When I built my own pc's I never installed the OS the way that HP does.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If you have the 3 Operating Systems in a triple boot configuration, the 100MB partition would have made a lot of sense - unless you have 3 independent installations on 3 seperate disks. Here is an easy way to look at that partition: Partitions - View Hidden Partitions - Windows 7 Forums
    "the 100MB partition would have made a lot of sense"

how ?

wptski is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post

Found DISM GUI 2.0 here:
    DISM GUI 2.0 « Mike's Blog
    Not sure if that's the same DISM GUI that I have, mine came from the author who frequents a Paragon Backup Forum.

You can create a System Repair Disc from W7 but I'm unsure if that's the same as this System Recovery Disc, which I do have. The W7 created System Repair Disc won't boot on a Dell PC and from what I've read hasn't, maybe for as long as W7 has been out! The System Recovery Disc allows you to get to the command prompt, system restore points, install a Windows created HD image, Windows Repair Function, etc. It's the same repair menu you get by pressing F8(safe mode). I've already been where the safe mode was blocked.

I've been through two levels of email MS Tech Support about failed SP1 installs and now have been given a phone number for a one on one session. First I will create a restore point, HD image with Paragon's HDM2011S, W7 HD image and a W7 backup also to cover my back.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    "the 100MB partition would have made a lot of sense"

how ?
    The 100MB partition contains the bootmgr. As you add another OS, the bootmgr will also have that OS in it. And as you probably know, it is always a pain to fix the bootmgr when you want to get rid of the double boot, So I recommend the following:

1. Take an image of the 100MB partition when there is only 1 system
    2. Install your second OS and image the 100MB partition again
    3. If you install a third OS, image again
    4. Now if you want to get rid of your 3d OS, just restore the image from #2
    5. if you want to get rid of both additional systems, just restore image #1
    6. After the bootmgr is fixed, you can just reformat the partition on which this OS resided.

In a triple boot, that does not work when you want to get rid of OS #2 and keep #1 and #3. But typically people only do double boots, and for that it is always a sure bet.

Not sure if that's the same DISM GUI that I have, mine came from the author who frequents a Paragon Backup Forum.

You can create a System Repair Disc from W7 but I'm unsure if that's the same as this System Recovery Disc, which I do have. The W7 created System Repair Disc won't boot on a Dell PC and from what I've read hasn't, maybe for as long as W7 has been out! The System Recovery Disc allows you to get to the command prompt, system restore points, install a Windows created HD image, Windows Repair Function, etc. It's the same repair menu you get by pressing F8(safe mode). I've already been where the safe mode was blocked.

I've been through two levels of email MS Tech Support about failed SP1 installs and now have been given a phone number for a one on one session. First I will create a restore point, HD image with Paragon's HDM2011S, W7 HD image and a W7 backup also to cover my back.
    I found it was time to contact a friend of mine and he's going to help me build a BartPE with Paragon's free. Hopefully that'll be it

Hope you'll get yours settled.

wptski is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    I found it was time to contact a friend of mine and he's going to help me build a BartPE with Paragon's free. Hopefully that'll be it

Hope you'll get yours settled.
    There are a few special things to know to create a BartPE or WinPE disc with Paragon products. Look at this thread of mine at Paragon's forum: B&R 2010FA Recovery Media Builder - Wilders Security Forums starting at around post #14 where I was guided through the process.

There are a few special things to know to create a BartPE or WinPE disc with Paragon products. Look at this thread of mine at Paragon's forum: B&R 2010FA Recovery Media Builder - Wilders Security Forums starting at around post #14 where I was guided through the process.
    Thanks.
    I found this thread earlier this week.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345