DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: System Restore did not complete successfully - Error Code 0x80071a90

japp is offline Gold Member

Default System Restore did not complete successfully - Error Code 0x80071a90

The other day I tried System Restore, 3 different points but none of them worked so whatever bad happened to my system (W7 Home Premium) after some install of new drivers and programs couldn't be restored. Had to use Acronis TrueImage to get my pc up and working properly again.

System Restore did not complete successfully

Does anyone have an explanation to why System Restore didn't work?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Something seems to have corrupted your system restore points ... do you get any error message/code?

Meanwhile also see if something at Troubleshooting System Restore In Windows helps you!

wptski is offline Beginner

Manual or system created restore points? I was told by a Dell support tech that restore points created by the system tend not to be rock solid. That's when one failed for us during a support call and one that I had created worked.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

If you have Acronis you may wish to do as I do. I use Acronis Nonstop Backup and turned off System Restore. I know you consider Acronis to be "bloated", I think it is feature rich. Give some of the great features a try and you may be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    The other day I tried System Restore, 3 different points but none of them worked so whatever bad happened to my system (W7 Home Premium) after some install of new drivers and programs couldn't be restored. Had to use Acronis TrueImage to get my pc up and working properly again.

Does anyone have an explanation to why System Restore didn't work?
    Last edited by roraniel; 6th April 2011 at 18:15.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    Something seems to have corrupted your system restore points ... do you get any error message/code?
    Don't remember exactly but it was something like "couldn't restore".

After that I'm using The Windows CLub's System Restore Manager and I wonder if it's better than windows own.

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Manual or system created restore points? I was told by a Dell support tech that restore points created by the system tend not to be rock solid. That's when one failed for us during a support call and one that I had created worked.
    System created.
    Thanks for the info about manual vs system.

Quote Originally Posted by roraniel View Post
    If you have Acronis you may wish to do as I do. I use Acronis Nonstop Backup and turned off System Restore. I know you consider Acronis to be "bloated", I think it is feature rich. Give some of the great features a try and you may be surprised.

Isn't system restore quicker than to restore an Image?

I stick to my opinions but what really pissed me off was when I had to use the Boot Disc and couldn't understand how to use it. Never have had any problems like that with earlier versions.

Meanwhile also see if something at Troubleshooting System Restore In Windows helps you!
    I checked the following:
    "4) Type Services in Start Menu Search Box, hit Enter. Make sure that the Volume Shadow Copy & Task Schedular Services is Running and set on Automatic. If the Status of System Restore Service is not Started, Start it. Also set it on Automatic if it is not. A reboot may be required. Re-confirm again, and now try."

It was set to Manual. Now I've changed it to Automatic and also Started it.

That's correct?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

System Restore is and has always been an iffy service. Already in Vista it did not work half of the time. That is when I turned it off and switched to automatic imaging (I use free Macrium) - that works every time. I only create restore points on my data partition so that I can recover lost files with Shadow Explorer ( http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...-explorer.html ). I often delete files that I then have to look for later - LOL.

It happened again today and here's a screenshot with the error:

System Restore did not complete successfully. Your computer's system files and settings were not changed.

Details: System Restore failed to replace the file (C:\Windows) with its original copy from the restore point. An unspecified error occurred during System Restore. (0x80071a90)

I checked:
    Volume Shadow Copy & Task Schedular Services
    and
    Changed from Manual to Automatic.
    Started to Started.

Still no luck.

Seems I have to start it every time. Is there a way to get it to start by itself?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast