DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Disable auto-arrange in Windows 7 and allow manual arranging of files in a folder

rtargo20 is offline New Member

Default Disable auto-arrange in Windows 7 and allow manual arranging of files in a folder

I am new to Windows 7 and the forum and having problem moving files within a
    folder.

In VISTA, I could drag and drop any file to any position within a folder which gave
    me priority listing of my files.
    Will someone help me with this problem.
    Has Microsoft forgot this feature?

Thanks for your help.

Bob

roraniel is offline Gold Member

That feature was not included in Windows 7. I did find a way for a client of mine to reactivate it at the following link. It involves creating new registry keys so be careful and backup your registry before trying this. I used the downloadable zip file included in this how to and it worked.

BE WARNED, this is a German website and there are some pretty racy adverts on the page. My antivirus did not detect anything.

UNAWAVE - Windows 7 disable sorting auto arrange
    Last edited by roraniel; 20th April 2011 at 00:27.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Nice find. The .bat file automates the job it appears. Best to create a system restore point first!

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Ha! Somehow I knew someone from TWC had a hand in this. Nice work. Credit should have been given.