DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: Sidebar for Windows 7

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Sidebar for Windows 7

W7 64-bit Home Premium.

I'm looking into the sidebar on my pc and I find there is a right-click option to install gadgets. The web site I'm taken to when clicking on get gadgets online seems to only have gadgets for Windows Vista. Are these compatible with my W?

There is no sidebar in my W? But I can use this one:?
    7 Sidebar Gadget - Vista-Sidebar for Windows 7

What is the difference in using gadgets only vs a sidebar?

Thanks for help

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

7 Sidebar itself runs like a gadget. No need to install it. The sidebar holds all the gadgets together and stays visible all the time (unless ofcourse this setting is changed). If you run the gadgets without the sidebar, is happens in Windows 7, the gadget get hidden behind the other open windows.

I think if you download the gadgets from the personalization gallery, it may work with 7 sidebar too.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If you find a complete Vista 64bit sidebar folder, you can install that too. Just rename the Win7 sidebar folder in the Program Files to Sidebar(2) and install the Vista folder there. For renaming, you may have to "Take ownership".

I did upload a Vista sidebar folder to my Skydrive which you can download from here - but this is a 32bit version which may not work in a 64bit Win7.
    Last edited by whs; 18th May 2011 at 13:45.

Quote Originally Posted by HappyAndyK View Post
    7 Sidebar itself runs like a gadget. No need to install it. The sidebar holds all the gadgets together and stays visible all the time (unless ofcourse this setting is changed). If you run the gadgets without the sidebar, is happens in Windows 7, the gadget get hidden behind the other open windows.

I think if you download the gadgets from the personalization gallery, it may work with 7 sidebar too.
    Thanks
    I'll try it.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    If you find a complete Vista 64bit sidebar folder, you can install that too. Just rename the Win7 sidebar folder in the Program Files to Sidebar(2) and install the Vista folder there. For renaming, you may have to "Take ownership".

I did upload a Vista sidebar folder to my Skydrive which you can download from here - but this is a 32bit version which may not work in a 64bit Win7.
    Thanks

I downloaded it anyway out of curiousity and it looks like/similar to the one I have.

googled for "Vista 64bit sidebar folder" and this thread looks like something I need to look further into:
    Windows 7 64bit + Sidebar 32bit [solved] - UnderGround Forum