DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: slow computer?

bryan123 is offline New Member

Exclamation slow computer?

Hi all,
    i am running windows 7 starter on my netbook. i dont know what happen but it is running slow. i am currently running in safe mode with networking. regular mode was running slow. what do i do? i just turned off my computer yesterday and this morning when i turned it on its all mess up.. should i install windows 7 service pack 1. i dont think there is any viruses or spyware on here. what do i do?

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there,

There are few things that might be slowing your Netbook down. One of them that comes to my mind is a Startup item that is messing up and hogging down the system. Follow this article Run Selective Startup using System Configuration and disabled all the startup items and non Microsoft service and reboot in Normal Mode and see how that works.

Then download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan and see if that find any sign of infection. If that didn't do any do then run a System Integrity check and that also didn't help then try to do a System Restore

Report us back with the results

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Hi bryan123,

Did you install any new software recently and maybe made any changes to your system? If so please unsinstall the software or reverse the changes and see if it helps.

If yours nettop which has come pre-installed with a lot of unwanted trialware/crapware, I suggest you open your Control Panel and uninstall programs you dont need. Restart computer.

Type msconfig in start search and hit Enter. Under startup tab, uncheck the starups you feel you dont need to start every time your computer starts.

And yes, installing the latest updates like SP1 is always a good idea.

Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

Maybe you also want to run defrag

Shantanu is offline Microsoft MVP

hi !

Netbook has an Atom processor, that was designed to handle low processing tasks. If you overload your netbook like a regular computer, its going to get slow. Just follow the things mentioned above. After that, i'd recommend you to uninstall the things you don't use and Install Microsoft security essentials, if its not already installed. Try using the app you use the most and remove the ones you dont use.

twl845 is offline New Member

Along with trying the already mentioned suggestions, you might consider a system restore to the day before the problem started. Then I would do a chk disk to check the system for errors.