DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: The device in drive H: must be formated? Why's that ?!

Subaruwrx is offline New Member

Exclamation The device in drive H: must be formated? Why's that ?!

Dear forum fellow members

Yesterday when I connected my WD 500GB Passport Essential into my laptop it said that I need to perform a scandisk. I took about 6 hours and I canceled at about 70% as it stopped on this 70% for one more hour. Nothing special happened, I was working on the external HD for couple more hours, plugging and safetly unplugging the device. Today morning I wanted again to plug my device, but when I plugged it it said that the device in drive letter H: must be formated in order to use it. I cannot do it because of very vital information on that disk ,especially pictures from my wedding, my book that I'm writing etc. I tried the thread recovering files for dummies by japp but the UFS doesn't find any files to recover, and what's more when I got Administrative tools->storage->disk management it says that the disk has RAW partition (why? from where? how come?!). I BEG You, please help.

System is : Windows 7 US Professional SP1 x64. Laptop is MSI EX628, but I tried on Vista 32 bit on my wife's computer as well as Win XP Home on my HP Mini 1000. Everywhere it says about formating, if I want to use the hd.

japp is offline Gold Member

I don't know if this is of any help, but take a look:
    How to test a drive for problems using Data Lifeguard Diagnostics for Windows

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I was having this problem with an external and I replaced the cable and it stopped. Not sure if that was the cause or not but have not had an issue since then.

thanks, it's running test by now. Somehow I couldn't do the quick scan, but the full scan is "scanning" now, so I'' post the results when it's done. I replaced with 4 different cables, non worked.

So it says that I have 3 bad sectors and if I want to repair them I need to backup my drive cause the files there (in those sectors) will be lost. What to do? Try it?
    Last edited by Subaruwrx; 31st May 2011 at 14:29.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there,

Try to connect to a different PC as well. Because once i had similar problem. It worked on a different computer. So copied the data and then formatted the HDD.

doesn't work on my wife's Vista 32bit and my HP mini 1000 with XP Home ;/

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there,

Try this software and see if it help TestDisk - CGSecurity

I've got like 10 cables of this type because of PS3 and other usb devices. Anyway Testdisk helped a lot. Too bad it will take around 345 hours to restore everything (it already took 4h)