Thread: Windows 7 with xp mode

eldergnome is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 with xp mode

I have Windows 7 Home Premium and I have a couple of XP programs I don't want to abandon, for example my password manager. If I upgrade Windows I understand there is an XP mode which would facilitate my XP program. My question is pretty basic; How do the modes work together? If I am running Windows 7 and I want to access my XP based password manager do I need to shut down 7 first, or do then run concurrently?

wptski is offline Beginner

Yes, the XP Mode runs along with Windows at the same time. One thing that you may have to watch out for is if you plan to run games. XP Mode doesn't support HID devices and some game controllers are HID. I found this out while trying to use a Omron Blood Pressure Monitor with XP Mode. I "assumed" that it wouldn't run under W7 and started off by trying it in XP Mode. Luckily it does run under W7. It turned out to be a HID(Human Intreface Device".

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

Windows XP mode is actually not available for Home Premium. If you have to use XP mode on any of the versions below the Professional Edition, you'll have to use other options such as VMware - Create an XP Mode for Windows 7 Home Versions & Vista - How-To Geek.

wptski is offline Beginner

That's why they mention "upgrade" in their post as the OP knew about that already.

nithinr6 is offline Senior Member

^^ Oops sorry I missed it :P

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

I run Windows 7 Ultimate and use XP mode to run Photoshop CS2. You need to open XP mode to install the application(s) you want to run but, after installation, they appear on the Windows 7 menu just like any oither application. When you want to use the application you have installed in XP mode, you simply click on the start menu, click the Windows Virtual XP option then click on the Windows XP Mode applications folder. Your list of applications will appear. Click the appliocation you weant to launch an Windows will do the rest.

Leomate is offline New Member

and now just xp mode in windows 7 on adobe photoshop or firefox 5...