Thread: Open With problems while opening Reg files

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Open With problems while opening Reg files

I'm having problems with "Open with" (context menu) on my W7 64-bit Home premium. It's not an option I've been using to many times before.

Right-clicking on a .reg file I get the option "Open with" and nothing like e.g. Notepad. After some warnings from Comodo Firewall I'm clicking Yes to, the pc hangs and gets slooow before a window opens from where I can choose a program to open the .reg file with.

ALl this time and afterwards the pc is very unresponsive for a long while. When I finally can choose a program to open the .reg file with it takes long time before somthing happens after I've clicked on "Choose program". I also gets more warnings from Comodo to say Yes to. IT's the same over and over again.

While right-clicking on a picture file gives me several options in the context menu.

Hopefully someone can help me to sort this out.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

The registry editor entry in the Open With window is the default option unless you have previously chosen something else. To get an alternative you would need to click the Browse button and select Notepad from the available list; then you could open the registry file with notepad.

I personally don't use any third party firewall, relying on the Windows firewall instead and I don't get any problems allocating an application to open registry files.
    Last edited by J_B_MVP; 3rd July 2011 at 20:51.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

J_B_MVP: Thanks
    I'm using this firewall to prevent outbound traffic.
    Now I've gotten Open with notepad.

HappyAndyK: Thanks Now I've gotten it.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    If your getting warnings from Comodo with every click, chances are the issue is going to be with Comodo.

Try this:

Disable Comodo and try Open With see if you get the same result.
    or
    Open Task Manager\Processes pull it to one side where you can see it and select a file and click Open With, go through the steps you need to do but while doing so keep an eye on the processes in Task Manager and see if you have a spike in memory usage. I can almost say you'll probably see a high spike in memory usage comign from Comodo.

I also hope that that file PayPal_Phishing isn't what I think it is. As a PayPal account holder for many many years you have no idea what I go through from users trying to get into it.
    Thanks

Now that I've gotten Open with notepad things go fast. Is it usual for a firewall to make such problems? I couldn't see anything happen with the memory usage.

I probably got an email which wasn't from PayPal after all. Luckily I got a warning from my browser about the web page. I contacted PayPal about it.

L.W: Thanks I've added more knowledge to my brain after this - and that's a good thing.