Thread: Boot problems in Windows 7 - Drivers?

tarquaeron is offline New Member

Default Boot problems in Windows 7 - Drivers?

Hello,

About a week ago, my laptop (hp Compaq 6910p) suddenly started taking about 10m to boot windows. Before, if I disabled the wireless device with the small touch button at the top of the computer it, there was a small delay of maybe 10s before the welcome and then later the desktop screen, but no more. I originally thought I might have picked up some malware from a disconnect-hacker in starcraft 2, I did a full search with windows defender and Mcaffee, though I might not have the latest update on mcaffee, and they found nothing. I then thought it might have been the 200mb hp printer-driver that I'd just installed, so I did a system restore to before these slow boot times started appearing, to no avail.
    I used xbootmgr and the windows performance tool kit, as shown by a post in this forum and others, to get 3 traces, 2 of which are before the system restore. The last one, the one after the system restore is practically the same as the other ones. I realize I can't post attachments (why?) but I'd be glad, if anyone is willing to help to send these traces by email. I can't really make out a lot from them since I know so little about windows or these traces but there's a few things. The winlogoninit phase is apparently the one taking up the lion's share of the time (about 450 s). Thus, as indicated on another forum, I thought services might be the problem. But there doesn't seem to be a service taking up an unreazonable amount of time to load, as far as I can tell (there's mcaffe mcshield and oh, in the newest one hpqddsvc). I did a boot with all the services turned off (selective boot->load only system services in msconfig) and that didn't really change anything timewise. Booting in safe mode is fine though, like no more than 10s.

Then I looked at the drivers, and it's really weird. The same drivers keep appearing,
    --flt.sys
    --Ntfs.sys (yes this is the windows file system)
    --mfehidk.sys
    and then these 7 which come up twice in the 3rd, more in the 2nd one:
    --csc.sys
    --mup.sys
    --fltmgr.sys
    --NCRecognizer.sys (all of which take exactly 420322 ms in the 3rd one)
    --NCFilter.sys
    --mfehidk.sys
    --fltmgr.sys

So yeah, that's super fishy, a driver which take 420s to load ???

Would anyone know what I can do? Search for updates on these system drivers? Not really I think. Does anyone know what's going on?

2 things worth mentioning:
    -I only use windows for games (starcraft 2 mainly, which might be pushing my laptop's graphical and ram capacities) and use ubuntu otherwise, with grub 2 as my loader.
    -I didn't install my windows or buy the computer myself, it was given to me as a work computer by the IT responsable at Uni. Shortly after I received it, windows started requiring activation, saying there were problems with my license, etc. (there's also all this novell stuff which I don't understand, and which might have given me a license over the internet? and which I shouldn't have deactivated as a startup app, I don't know) I was getting a black screen after I would finally load the desktop. I deleted I think slui.exe, something like that in the system32 folder, I can't exactly remember how I found the file name, and then vga.exe I think it was couldn't start anymore and the booting was fine again. I'm not sure I even installed any windows updates since then but I was definitely able to update windows defender. I thought I wouldn't run into any super modern malware playing starcraft 2. But yeah this was over 3 months ago, and I hadn't had any problems before a week ago. (there's still this "this version of windows is not authenticated" in the bottom right of the desktop and when I open windows applications like control panel or mspaint, there's a screen which comes up about activating windows, does anyone know which system files are responsible for that?)

Thx a lot in advance,

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

First of all I would recommend to contact your IT and have your Windows activated because that will delay the startup a little bit. Then the driver which you were asking about belongs to Novell Client. I have seen lot of Cooperate Laptops would have lot of startup application which takes a long time to load. Also try to uninstall McAfee and run the cleanup Tool then replace with MSE. Because one of the driver belongs to McAfee
    Last edited by Capt.Jack; 6th July 2011 at 17:18.

tarquaeron is offline New Member

Thx for the reply. Yes you were right, I think it was Novell. At least 2 of those drivers were novell client things, definitely with the NC. But it turns out I was very dumb, and I guess I just deactivated a service in msconfig that was required by one of those drivers. I rebooted with all the services activated and it was back to normal, albeit taking a bit longer with the desktop loading.
    So yeah, I guess the moral is, don't play around when you don't know what novell is.