Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Task Scheduler Problem: Task SYSYSTEMTOOLSDAILYTEST: The task image is corrupt

wptski is offline Beginner

Default Task Scheduler Problem: Task SYSYSTEMTOOLSDAILYTEST: The task image is corrupt

When I start the Task Scheduler I get first: Task SYSYSTEMTOOLSDAILYTEST: The task image is corrupt or has been tampered with. That's followed by 13 more like HotStart and WinSat. It did include ScheduledDefrag but when I opened Defrag it said that another app had set it up but I could change that. I did and now that one error doesn't pop up anymore. I have never used the Task Scheduler.

There are 4 of them that are under the SideShow feature which I didn't even know what it was till I searched for it. I don't even use it. All errors are from Windows created tasks or from the OEM installed OS on a Dell PC.

The Task Scheduler does open up after I click on all the errores that pop up but none of named errors have a listed task. Looking in the Task folder, the dates of problem folders or files all but one have a date when I performed a W7 repair/update to refresh system files from a borrowed W7 DVD. This finally allowed me to install the SP1 update.

SFC finds no problems. Is there a way to reinstall the default Windows task images? In a search of problem, one post stated that there is no way to reinstall the task scheduler. Some stated to delete the problem images but these are default images not anything that I created besdies they aren't listed, they are missing from the tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by L.W View Post
    Try this and see if any of these might help:
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...e-damaged.html

or

Taken from Microsoft's Technet Forum:

From a Vista posting but it hasn't changed from Vista to 7.
    Hope this helps,
    Lee
    Aside from from checking that the Task Scheduler is running in auto which it is, SFC and CHKDSK has been tried. The registry location contains nothing but numbered tasks or no simple names. My problem tasks aren't corrupt, they are missing from the Task Scheduler List but are in the Task folder. The question I guess is, how do you rebuild them or add them? I have no errors during normal day to day use only if I open the Task Scheduler.

I think easiest way to fix this is what got me into this situation and that's a repair/upgrade install of W7. Since I have SP1, I'd have to uninstall it first. I have no idea what the chances are it "might" work correctly this time? It did take two tries before to complete as the first try hung up at the very end.

Your idea sounds good, I'll have to look into trying that. Thanks!

Tweak is offline New Member

It seems you are well on your way but I thought I would add that the Task SYSYSTEMTOOLSDAILYTEST is not typically found on most systems unless your system is from a manufacturer such as Dell which you mentioned. You can remove this entry as well as any associated with it, you may have some OEM installed PC Doctor type program which created this task but while it may serve a purpose it is not a requirement and for many may be less than desirable anyway. As for the errors that follow you should see mention of them under Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows (MobilePC for HotStart), (Maintenance for WinStat) etc. etc. Removing and recreating them is typically the suggested course of action. Perhaps none of this is helpful but I hope at least a small portion is somehow useful to you. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    It seems you are well on your way but I thought I would add that the Task SYSYSTEMTOOLSDAILYTEST is not typically found on most systems unless your system is from a manufacturer such as Dell which you mentioned. You can remove this entry as well as any associated with it, you may have some OEM installed PC Doctor type program which created this task but while it may serve a purpose it is not a requirement and for many may be less than desirable anyway. As for the errors that follow you should see mention of them under Task Scheduler Library>Microsoft>Windows (MobilePC for HotStart), (Maintenance for WinStat) etc. etc. Removing and recreating them is typically the suggested course of action. Perhaps none of this is helpful but I hope at least a small portion is somehow useful to you. Good luck!
    PC Doctor is part of the Dell OEM install and "may" be part of its diagnostics. These diagnostic tools are used to run memory, hardware, etc. tests. Since it's still under warranty, it may be wise to keep them for the time being.

One thing that's odd is that I borrowed a W7 DVD from my brother-in-law to do the repair/update install to refresh system files. Four of the errors are from the Sideshow feature included in W7 but he doesn't even have that in his Task folder like I do and he didn't do a custom install so I'd think that he'd have them also.

If you go to Actions or RT click on a folder there an option to import a task. Default is an XML file but one can change that to all and import a file into a window that contains all info, triggers, etc. The catch is when you click OK, it states that you have a folder by the name. I use the MobilePC\hotstart error to play with. If I try to delete the folder, it states that there are sub entries and can't. The Windows\windows32\task\ folder contains the the hotstart file, so I really don't want delete my source for the info on the task! I'm stuck again. Maybe if I copy the Task folder to a safe place and then try to delete the MobilePC folder after deleting the HotStart file?

One of my problem tasks is from MobilePC\Hotstart.

Here's the first two lines pulled from a backup image before using the W7 DVD to do the repair/update install to refresh system files. The person I borrowed the DVD from has the same Hotstart file as shown below. Now my Hotstart file now starts with the "xmlns=http://" entry and the first little bit is missing.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16"?>
    <Task version="1.3" xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/windows/2004/02/mit/task">

Tweak is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    PC Doctor is part of the Dell OEM install and "may" be part of its diagnostics. These diagnostic tools are used to run memory, hardware, etc. tests. Since it's still under warranty, it may be wise to keep them for the time being.
    Since it is under warranty still I see no reason for removing it but afterwards it is generally ideal that it be removed. If you could or haven't could you export a working task from a properly functioning machine and then delete your current task and import the functional task...

Quote Originally Posted by Tweak View Post
    Since it is under warranty still I see no reason for removing it but afterwards it is generally ideal that it be removed. If you could or haven't could you export a working task from a properly functioning machine and then delete your current task and import the functional task...
    What I had to do was first make a copy of the Task folder to a safe spot. Winows won't allow deletion, so I had to take ownership of each folder and each file. I deleted each folder/file, open the Task Scheduler, create a new folder and then import each task from my copy. In one case there was one bad task in a folder of three, it wouldn't allow me to import the one task so I had to delete folder/files and import all three back in.

The odd ball one was SystemToolsDailyTest which wasn't in a seperate folder but in the root. It "appears" that I would have to delete all tasks and start from scratch. I wasn't about to do that so I just created a seperate folder for it. The errors stopped as soon as I deleted the folder/files. I'm not sure what all these tasks do or even if they are needed!

SystemToolsDailyTest for one runs every 13 minutes and is part of PCDr which is included with the OEM Windows install on a Dell. I disabled that one.

TechMan is offline New Member

Hi,

In order to fix this, you have to delete the actual task XML file that contains the task settings, then rerun the Task Scheduler to confirm that the error is gone, then import a non-corrupted version of the task back into the Task Scheduler.
    Most of the work you have to do is to locate the task file in question.
    The task files are located in C:\Windows\System32\Tasks.
    If you try to open the task folder, you might get a UAC prompt asking you for permission to access the folder, this is OK, just click continue to access the folder.
    In my case, the corrupt task was "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector".
    This was a Microsoft task, therefore I had to go into the C:\Windows\System32\Tasks\Microsoft\Windows\DiskDi agnostic folder to locate the actual task xml file,
    which was named "Microsoft-Windows-DiskDiagnosticDataCollector".

Once you have located the task file, close the task scheduler, back up the corrupted task file to any location of your choice, then delete it, then open the task scheduler to confirm that the error has gone.

What you now need to do is to export the non-corrupted task from another computer or virtual machine, and import it into the task scheduler.
    To export the task in question from another computer, follow these steps.

1. Open the Task Scheduler, then drill down into the task in question, then right-click on the task and select "Export...".
    2. Save the exported XML file to a location of your choosing, then copy it over to the affected computer.
    3. Once you are back on the affected computer, make sure that the task scheduler is closed, then you need to run the task scheduler as an Administrator.
    4. To run the task scheduler as an Administrator, click Start>All Programs>Accessories>System Tools, then locate "Task Scheduler", right-click it and select "Run as Administrator".
    5. Once the task scheduler is open, drill down to the folder where the task is supposed to be located, right-click on a blank portion of the window, and select "Import Task...".
    6. Once you have imported the task, a "Create task" window will open as shown below, just click OK to it.
    7. The task should then be successfully imported, you can then close the task scheduler, and the problem should be fully resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast