Thread: Cannot import registry file. Not all data was successfully written to the registry

japp is offline Gold Member

Default Cannot import registry file. Not all data was successfully written to the registry

I took a backup of my registry, but when I'm trying to restore the reg file I get this error:

Cannot import registry file. Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes.

googling only gave me results on trojans, but that's not my problem.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

If you are sure that those registry files are safe, you may try and add them after booting in Safe Mode.

This may also interest you: How to take full control of Windows 7 Registry keys | The Windows Club

Thanks, HappyAndyK

Took the easy way: Used RegOwnIt (had forgotten about that one) rather than the manual procedure you pointed me to.
    Well, still the same problem. I shall manually check a particular key I made changes to and see if that one has reverted to it's original state and if not restore that key.

I tried to restore the registry backup in Safe Mode but I had the same messages there. Perhaps I should have taken ownership while in Safe Mode, too? Guess so.

The most interesting/important to me about this is the use of backing up the registry if one can't restore it...........

wptski is offline Beginner

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    Thanks, HappyAndyK

Took the easy way: Used RegOwnIt (had forgotten about that one) rather than the manual procedure you pointed me to.
    Well, still the same problem. I shall manually check a particular key I made changes to and see if that one has reverted to it's original state and if not restore that key.

I tried to restore the registry backup in Safe Mode but I had the same messages there. Perhaps I should have taken ownership while in Safe Mode, too? Guess so.

The most interesting/important to me about this is the use of backing up the registry if one can't restore it...........
    I've tried to restore the registry from a backup twice and both failed. I've read since that registry backups are a joke as they never work! I tend to agree with that.

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there,

It's Normal when you restore the complete registry backup because there are lot of keys when we won't have permissions. It's merely impossible to give permission to the entire registry entries because they might cause the system not to boot. Most of the third party application keys and some of the system keys can be restore but not all.

Hope this helps!

Capt.Jack: Thanks for making that clear
    Then backing up one's registry isn't a solution..........

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

It is I think it's best to backup the portion that your going to alter.

Next time I'll only backup the explicit keys I'm to play with (and cross my fingers)