Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 vs Windows XP pro - Can I restore/recover machine?

bobeckie is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 vs Windows XP pro - Can I restore/recover machine?

I did a "full backup" of my windows 7 laptop just before it died. Can I restore/recover it to a machine running XP pro 32 bitOS
    I'm getting nowhere with Mr Gates.
    Thanks
    Bob

Shantanu is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello !

I am Not really understanding the question here. But Assuming that you have xp 32 bit installed and you want to install Windows 7 again with the recovery discs you made. If that is the case, yes you can indeed recover your OS back to Windows 7, just boot from the first disc. ( assuming you used a Backup/Restore in windows 7 or a backup utility.

If you are asking something else, Please rephrase your question or clarify your condition a bit.

& Mr. Gates has nothing to do with your problem.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello Bob,

'Backed up' using what software application? Also what exactly did you back up? If you did a full image then you are not going to be able to integrate it into an XP operating system. If you are talking about your documents etc then if you used Windows 7's own backup then the chances are probably Zero. The reason is because the backup options of Windows 7 are not backward compatible with XP. If you used a third party application then you probably could because the application should eb backward compatible with XP.

If, on the other hand, you simply copied your documents to a USB or something similar then you could simply paste them back to your XP system. You may have to take ownership of the relevant files once on XP but that will depend up[on what files you are trying to access from XP. You are not goign to be able to restore software applications without re-installing them on the XP system - assuming thast they are XP compatible, of course.

HappyAndyK is online now Site Administrator

"Laptop died" - meaning Windows OS crashed? Or Laptop hardware went dead?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You have to specify exactly what program you used for the backup and whether your Win7 was an OEM or a retail version for which you have the product key. The filetype of the backup file (e.g. VHD) would also be helpful.

Default reply

I have not articulatedvthe question accurately. I have a full back up from a lap top running win7. This lap top is no longer functional. I have another lap top running XP Pro. Can I restore the programs and related files to the xp machine without corrupting the OS system

Quote Originally Posted by Shantanu View Post
    Hello !

I am Not really understanding the question here. But Assuming that you have xp 32 bit installed and you want to install Windows 7 again with the recovery discs you made. If that is the case, yes you can indeed recover your OS back to Windows 7, just boot from the first disc. ( assuming you used a Backup/Restore in windows 7 or a backup utility.

If you are asking something else, Please rephrase your question or clarify your condition a bit.

& Mr. Gates has nothing to do with your problem.

I used the win 7 back up function quoted as full. I do have an image file but didn't intend to use it. The "backup" was to dvdrw so perhps I can cut and paste as above. My main concern is if I I load the dvd's that they will go off and corrupt the current OS

Thanks for your help

lap top went dead

Thanks

It was a Toshiba satellite 505 which came loaded with Win7. I used the win 'full backup" to DVDRW's. Filled about 1 & 1/2 disks.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

If you re-image using the DVD's that you created in the first place using the Windows 7 backup you will completely over-write your XP operating system. That is the whole idea of an 'image'

I have another lap top running XP Pro. Can I restore the programs and related files to the xp machine without corrupting the OS system
    By 'programs' I take it you mean applications such as Microsoft Office, Microsoft Works or something similar? You will need the appropriate 'original' CD/DVD to re-install these, you simply cannot copy them back using cut and paste as the applications would not work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast