Thread: Need help! Windows 7 is saving i have a evaluation version

dksullivan is offline New Member

Default Need help! Windows 7 is saving i have a evaluation version

AFTER I GOT THE SERVICE UPDATE 1, I SAW THAT THE RIGHT HAND LOWER LISTING ON DESKTOP SAID EVALUATION COPY BUILD 7601
    I BOUGHT THIS PC LAST WINTER IT IS A REG. VERSION OF WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM. IT KEEPS POPPING UP NOW AND SAYING TO MAKE A BACKUP AND TODAY IT SAYS I NEED TO INSTALL A NEW WINDOWS 7 VERSION COMPLETE IN 3 DAYS. WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? I HAVE A BUSINESS ON MY PC. AND SINCE THE SERVICE PACK WAS PUT IN HP SAYS I RAN OUT OF WARRANTY IN JULY. IT DOESN'T RUN OUT TILL DEC. AND THEY ARE NOT GIVING ME ANY SUPPORT OR ADVICE. EVEN AFTER I SENT THEM MY RECEIPT COPY OF WHEN I PURCHASED IT. I GOT A EMAIL SAYING YES I WAS I WARRANTY AND THEY FIXED IT ONLINE SO I COULD ACCESS HELP. BUT IT STILL SAYS I AM OUT OF WARRANTY.
    WHAT IS GOING TO HAPPEN TO MY PC IN 3 DAYS? CAN I UNINSTALLL THE SERVICE PACK 1 AND REVERSE THIS PROBLEM? IT SAYS IN MY SYSTEM THAT I HAVE A REG. COPY OF WINDOWS 7. WHY IS THIS NOT SEEING THIS?
    PLEASE HELP. I CAN'T AFFORD ANY DOWN TIME. I WORK ON THE INTERNET.

ANY OF THE BIG PC BRAINS HERE PLEASE EMAIL ME AT (email removed for privacy)
    HELP
    THANKS DEB
    Last edited by J_B_MVP; 29th August 2011 at 14:43. Reason: removed email to protect privacy

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Call the number in this link and have them sort it out: ( Activation and registration of a Microsoft product ). But I hope you have not been had by the seller of that PC. Btw: The SP1 update has nothing to do with it. It just triggered the check. Uninstalling it will not help.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello dksullivan,

This problem used to occur during the beta developement of Windows 7 and Service pack 1 beta. Where did the service pack come from? You haven't inadvertantly installed a beta copy by any chance of the service pack? You should be able to uninstall the service pack and it should return your PC back to normal. This I suggest you do to get you out of your current problem. See this link from my website 55. Uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1.

If you have documentation to prove that your machine is still under warranty then it is up to HP to rectify the matter. Unfortunately any problems with the operating system have to be sorted out by the OEM (original equipment manufacturer - in other words HP)

If uninstalling doesn't help you might see if rearming activation will be of assistance. Obvioulsy you have a genuine copy so rearming should work. If you had had an evaluation copy I would not have expected it to work because an actually evaluation copy is, by now, some years out of date. See this link from my website on rearming to extend the activation period for a further 30 days. 14. Extend Windows 7 Trial For 120 Days Without Having To Activate

Of course, there is no need to rearm if uninstalling SP1 does the trick. Once uninstalled you will be promted again to install SP1. You could try again to see if you get the same problem.

Please also check out this post in the Windows Answers forum Windows is showing as “Not-Genuine” - Microsoft Answers

PS: I have removed your email address to protect your privacy. Forums are regularly scanned for email addresses and we don't want you to get spammed. Also please ensure you type in lower case not capitals. Typing in capitals is the eqivalent to shouting.
    Last edited by J_B_MVP; 29th August 2011 at 15:02. Reason: spelling

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Could it be that you installed the Beta/RC copy of Service Pack 1 and not the final RTM copy? If so follow J_B_MVPs link to uninstall SP1.

Right click computer > Properties. What does it say there in the bottom right corner? Do you see a Product is activated message and a Windows Genuine blue logo? If so your Windows could be genuine but may be you have installed the wrong version of SP1.

dksullivan is offline New Member

Hi, thanks for all the info. I always let micorsoft update all my updates. I have a geniue win 7. it is from HP my pc is. I had to back up all my files. then did a complete system recovery from the f11 button at start up. it took all day for all the updates to load. now windows service pack 1 is waiting to download again. I have not let it install yet.
    They said I couldn't uninstall the service pack before doing everything they said becuase I always clean my disk cleanup and all files everyday. windows activated on reg. as normal again. Can I chance letting the service pack install again? And I am sorry about the cap lock. I was not in a happy mood and I guess I was yelling in fact. and I knew you guys would give me help, since no one else would. thank you guys!! You are the best. And get this, since I reinstalled windows to a new state. I have warranty again? What was wrong? I keep microsoft virus program always on update it self and use their firewall also. But I found others that had the same problem as me. It is all over message centers search about this happening to alot of windows 7 users. It did the same thing to them. I hope they found help like I did here.
    thanks again to all of you.
    deb

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Hello dksullivan,

Microsoft always insist that you keep your PC up to date; this also means updating with service packs. However, the choice is yours as to whether you update or not. Personally I always update, including service packs, but, for the service pack, I usually download the full service pack myself from the official download site (see this link from my website 53. Install Windows 7 Service Pack 1 ) I also regularly 'image' my hard drive using EaseUS Todo Backup Workstation. EaseUS do do a free version that you may find useful (see Best free data backup software. Hard drive backup and recovery freeware. Hard Disk image freeware. ) Maybe you could 'image' your hard drive say to an external USB drive and then download the service pack from the official Microsoft download site and give it another try. If the problem still persists you can easily re-image your hard drive back (assuming you have used EaseUS or something similar)

If you decide not to install service pack 1, I suggest that you 'hide' the update so that you are no longer requested to install it. In windows update just right click on the service pack option and, from the drop down menu, select the Hide option. The option can easily be unhide at a later date if you need it.
    Last edited by J_B_MVP; 1st September 2011 at 17:48. Reason: spelling