Thread: Bluescreen when installing Windows on new PC!

Sin Nade is offline New Member

Default Bluescreen when installing Windows on new PC!

Oookay.. soo.. hopefully someone can help me! Though i'm sure the possible reasons could be endless..

I just bought a new case, 1tb Hard drive, 4gb DDR3 ram stick, Asus motherboard M5A78-M LX and Phenom II x4 3.3 CPU. (The other bits already in the PC were 500W PSU and dvd/cd drive). Once i put the parts together, i plugged it all in and started it up. At first, i was amazed how it just ran without beeping at me for forgetting something! Or having compatibility issues! But then i tried to install windows... ugh.. So i put the Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit disc in, start it all up like usual, tell it where to install then let it do it's thing. First try, it stopped on the second part ..decompressing windows files? something like that.. then said it couldn't access a certain file. So i tried again and the same thing happened.. then i gave XP a go. Started that up, told it where to format/install and let it run. At the copying files part it came up with a screen every few seconds saying 'cannot read this file. Try again?' so i pressed enter each time to try again and it went past each time. Finally it was installed! I thought WOO! it's actually working! ...Then windows was starting up.. as soon as it got past the windows loading screen it bluescreened on me! ..so i let it restart and get back to the loading windows and it worked the second time but i nothing would run!. I tried installing drivers and it would error. Tried updating windows and IE would error.. tried getting a newer version of IE and it would error while decompressing.. (geez. Sorry this is so long! haha) So i gave up on XP and gave Windows 7 another go. It installed fine this time but when it started up with 7 installed, it did the same as xp.. nothing would work! Nothing would install.. errors everywhere.. then a bluescreen. Could be a faulty part.. but what?! >.<

Help meeee! =)

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I woukd suspect your RAM. Make a RAM test.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

I too would be inclined to suspect the RAM. If the RAM is in 2 modules then try removing one module first and run the system again on reduced RAM. Obviously, if the RAM is 4GB in one module you will need to have it checked by the supplier you purchased it from. However, before you return the RAM use Windows RAM diagnostics (from the Windows DVD (Computer Repairs option)) to see if it finds any faults.

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

If the Windows RAM Diagnostics tool comes back clean, yet you still have ssues, I'd suggest running Memtest86+ for a second, deeper, opinion.

Run Memtest86+ overnight, after your computer has been off for about an hour or two so it has a cold start. Ideally let it run for at least 7 passes / 6-8 hours. If errors appear before that you can stop that particular test.
    Note!! Any time Memtest86+ reports errors, it can be either bad RAM or a bad Mobo slot. Test RAM sticks individually. When you find a good one then test it in all slots.

It's actually a good practice to run some of the stress test programs before attempting the install, just to make sure the hardware is up to scratch. Better to find out it ought to be RMA'ed now, than later.