Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Pin to taskbar missing in Windows 7 - Also cannot drag and drop.

macko1944 is offline Beginner

Default Pin to taskbar missing in Windows 7 - Also cannot drag and drop.

Hi there,

I have Win 7 Home Prem.,trying to pin (any) program to the taskbar , but to no avail.On R click,I get the usual list from OPEN to PERSONALISE, but Pin to Taskbar just is not there. Trying to drag and drop-also doesn't work.Any help would be appreciated. Could the reason be "Run as administrator"has to be checked? Do not want to make a mistake, making a relatively small issue a worse one.

Thanks v.much!

japp is offline Gold Member

When a program is opened and it's icon sits in the taskbar, right-click that icon and you get an option to pin it.

Further reading:
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/down...7-taskbar.html

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...7-taskbar.html

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Easiest is to do it from All Programs or the program .exe in Program Files.

Hi,
    I did try to R click on the icon(Mozilla FF)when in the taskbar,but it did not work when I checked after.Tried the All Programs too,also without success.I am about to give up,since this is not a crucial problem.Funnily enough,I did have it there,but when I updated to FF 7,but system restored to the version 4(because 7 doesn't allow me to use Google Toolbar and McAfee Site Advisor,which I insist on using),after this syst.restore,the icon of FF disappeared from the taskbar,and no matter what I try,can't pin it back.Is it because the "Run as administrator)is not checked?I wonder,but do not want to mess with it,since I am an eternal beginner(74 yrs old today!)

whs

Quote Originally Posted by macko1944 View Post
    Hi,
    I did try to R click on the icon(Mozilla FF)when in the taskbar,but it did not work when I checked after.Tried the All Programs too,also without success.I am about to give up,since this is not a crucial problem.Funnily enough,I did have it there,but when I updated to FF 7,but system restored to the version 4(because 7 doesn't allow me to use Google Toolbar and McAfee Site Advisor,which I insist on using),after this syst.restore,the icon of FF disappeared from the taskbar,and no matter what I try,can't pin it back.Is it because the "Run as administrator)is not checked?I wonder,but do not want to mess with it,since I am an eternal beginner(74 yrs old today!)
    Happy Birthday - you are a full 8 days younger than me.

But back to your problem. Is it only FF that gives you the problem or is it a more general problem.

In the meantime try this: in COMPUTER, double click in the C: partition. Double click on Program Files. Open the FF folder and find the FF .exe. Right click on that and see what happens.

Hi "whs".Many thanks for sending me what looked like the solution.I followed your prescription to the letter,and sure enough,finally in FF.exe the "Pin to taskbar"appeared.I clicked on it,but the icon is still not in the taskbar.I restarted my computer,and repeated the whole procedure,clicked on Pin to taskbar,but it just won't appear.I think I better give up.It is not a serious problem of course,it is more like an irritation that I can't manage s.thing.Of course,the taskbar is NOT locked.So that is not the reason.I did eliminate the arrows on my desktop icons the other day.Maybe that interferes.Anyway,many thanks for helping.The computer is a mystery and will always remain so to me.Happy birthday to you also!!!!

whs

Maybe you can do a workaround. Try a "Send to desktop" which should give you a shortcut on the desktop, Then you can put this shortcut - and whatever other shortcuts you like - into a folder on the desktop. With that folder you make a toolbar. That is always accessible and very handy.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

This could happen if you have tweaked your desktop icons to NOT show the "Shortcut to". Have you done that?

If you have used this method of deleting the IsShortcut registry value from the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\lnkfile registry key, they one may not be able to drag and drop to taskbar nor pin to taskbar or start menu.

Anyawy, you can use the fix provided by my colleague Ramesh at Winhelponline to fix this issue.

It should help.
    taynak likes this.

Much obliged for the great advice.I did check it out,and I am sure,this would work fine.However,being not only "unsavvy',but somewhat fearful about having a folder,new toolbar,etc.(as you can see I am almost hopeless in computing),I choose the easy way out.Occasionally I need major help so I call a technician to assist.Next time s.thing comes up,in addition to the original problem,I am going to ask him to solve this minor irritation for me.In the meantime,I thank you all for giving me good advice and just for being there to help seniors like myself,who will never be really at home on the computer.Have a wonderful day!!!!

YES.You are right on!I did use exactly that procedure(on advice from a tech.web site to do this to get rid of those unsightly arrows).I suspected that this maybe the source of the "problem",since I did not have it before,when I got this netbook in the first place.Maybe when I do need more serious tech.help and I call the tech.who usually comes to my house,will do this too for me.Thanks you so much for caring and being there for "semi'idiots"(in computing),like myself!Maybe,those little arrows have to come back after all,but that is not a problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast