Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Administrator Rights in Windows 7

MTerrien is offline Beginner

Default Administrator Rights in Windows 7

I just loaded Windows 7 64bit. I created myself a user and gave myself administrator rights. How come even with administrator rights there are still folders and files that I can't change? Even the Administrator user can't access everything, or am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to fix this? I never had this problem in Windows XP.

Flatlands is offline Beginner

What files and folders are these?

MTerrien is offline Beginner

One example is Quicken. I would prefer to keep the data file in the 'Program Files (x86)\Quicken' But when I try to right to that folder I get denied. It says I need permission to write to this folder, ask Your Administrator to give you rights to this folder. That's pretty funny since even the Administrator can't write to that folder. If you look at the properties of this folder the files are set to read only, and neither I or the Administrator can write to that folder or remove the read-only setting.

japp is offline Gold Member

http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...s-windows.html

and if you do a search in TWC for "take ownership" you'll find more articles

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by MTerrien View Post
    I just loaded Windows 7 64bit. I created myself a user and gave myself administrator rights.
    i donīt understand what you mean by " created myself a user and gave myself administrator rights."
    exactly what did you do ?

when you have installed W7 you are using an ADMIN-account, which means you can do EVERYTHING you want.
    why create a USER-account and give that account ADMIN-rights ?

the whole idea is to use a USER-account with LIMITED rights for all normal work,
    and only use the ADMIN-account when itīs really needed fx. when doing system maintenance.
    what happens if you switch to the ADMIN-account ?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 13th November 2011 at 22:51.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...s-windows.html

and if you do a search in TWC for "take ownership" you'll find more articles
    there is no need to take "Ownership" of anything if you are using an ADMIN-account...

it looks like MTerrien has done something weird with the accounts, see my post above.

Flatlands is offline Beginner

He's saying the Admin account can't write to the file also guys, not just the new account

Darrell is offline New Member

I'm new abd the original computer dummy, so be kind ! I have the same prob with Sage Simply Accounting , after using the thing for a year it won't open: some files may be read only; you may not have rights to the files . driving me nuts !

So, I've made sure I have admin rights and according to files properties the files are not read only !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! help!

this is the message I get when I try to open Simply Accounting: cannot open the database because some database files are read only. Please ensure you have sufficient rights to the files then try again. ARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH !!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast