Thread: Phantom data hard drive problem on Windows 7

jakx is offline New Member

Default Phantom data hard drive problem on Windows 7

so i have a windows 7 laptop, and ive had it for, going on 3 years now. so the problem is that over the last 6 months it is like the data contained on my hard drive, well despite being what i would call a techie, i cant find the right word for expands. so over this period of time the data on my hard drive expands. this invisible unaccounted for expansion consumes nearly 50 GB of space. it used to go away daily when i shutdown. but now progressively it has become stuck to the drive. i thought it might be a virus or malware, but it has a clean bill of health from my antivirus (comodo), and MalwareBytes.

maybe someone here knows what this problem is called so i can do further research, or better yet has a solution.
    if you have any solutions or questions ill do my best to answer.

japp is offline Gold Member

Try out "Folder Size" to visually find big files as a start: Folder Size

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Default folder size

Quote Originally Posted by japp View Post
    Try out "Folder Size" to visually find big files as a start: Folder Size
    ok, folder size didnt help all it told me was what i already knew, that my hard drive is 225GB, that the space used is 222GB and that only 176GB can be accounted for.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Open an elevated Command Prompt and run this com,mand

vssadmin list shadowstorage

Check what number you have on Allocated. That is the amount used by restore points.

so i tried space sniffer, and found out that there are two system volume information packages (each around 24 GB) on my drive.
    i dont know much about system volume information, is it important?
    if it is not important is there a way i can remove it??
    any help is greatly appreciated

ok so this is really weird, i remembered i had this old copy of directory opus (a windows explorer like program, that shows system files). i started poking around the system volume information folder in hopes of finding the files that were causing the problem. i sound several large files (32GB and 18GB) that after discovery subsequently disappeared. any ideas? i got my 50 GB back, but what caused the problem, and how do i keep it from happening again?
    as always any ideas or pointers are greatly appreciated.

japp is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by jakx View Post
    so i tried space sniffer, and found out that there are two system volume information packages (each around 24 GB) on my drive.
    i dont know much about system volume information, is it important?
    if it is not important is there a way i can remove it??
    any help is greatly appreciated
    "C:\System Volume Information (hidden)
    This folder is necessary for the Windows 7 System Restore (and the use of shadow copies to restore previous versions of files). By default, the system recovery is only applied to the Windows partition (in most cases C, but it is also possible to enable it for the other partitions (by System in the Control Panel, task Advanced system settings in the task pane, tab System Protection, select a partition and, click button Configure). By disabling System Restore for every partition/disk, the earlier created restore points (necessary for the recovery of unwanted system changes) are deleted and the folder System Volume Information will be emptied (but not deleted!). After disabling System Restore and deleting the restore points as a result, it is no longer possible to recover from any unwanted system changes! If System Restore has been turned on again, a new restore point is created by clicking the button Create. As an alternative, deleting of restore points can be done without disabling System Restore: go to Disk Cleanup, button Clean up system files, tab More options, sub System Restore and Shadow Copies, button Clean up. The last restore point will be kept, which is a big advantage above other options!"

As found here: Windows 7 Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenting

A search for "system volume information" might help you even more.