Thread: Confusing Support Phone call from Microsoft?

railracer is offline New Member

Default Confusing Support Phone call from Microsoft?

It is now the second time someone from Microsoft (??) telling me something is wrong with my computer and asking me to do things I'm unsure of. First is it Microsoft and what would happen if I press the keys "Left Control key+windows key+r" together? Is this some scam? I'm not about to open my system to someone on the phone. Any help or advise on the action would be appreciated. Thank you

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

That is a scam - 100%. I have heard about this on other forums. Just ignore them.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Microsoft never contacts anyone on their own; either by phone or mail or any other media to offer support.

J_B_MVP is offline Microsoft MVP

Microsoft will never contact you unless you are on a 'paid for support' plan. Even though your computer sends problem report to Microsoft these reports are totally annonymous and do not contain any personal details. As other have said, this is a Scam!

railracer is offline New Member

Thank you all for your replies. I kind of thought the same and it never hurts to ask questions. Thanks again and Happy Holidays. Rail

Elmer B. is offline Windows Enthusiast

Sometimes it's nice, if you've the time, to have a bit of fun with them.

"Do I need to allow access to a certain memory segment, maybe 80000201, in order to re-route RDP to a new server whilst remaining in full control of the internal system process"?

Team Viewer/Remote Desktop/Whatever is asking me to enter your Product I.D. to generate a password, can I have it please"?

"I've changed the access code as that 4 digit one wouldn't really be secure would it. I don't want to get hacked again do I? Ha Ha Ha. Right, here's my new access code: 7UJutEcrmeDeThu6g3d5Usarfr7B7SWA7ethstU7AQe42CeCTh Ad33HEdeste4AT8UcReb2U"

"Its raining here. Is it raining where you are? Ooh, I can see the neighbours cat. Hang on, just going to make a coffee."

etc. etc..

wptski is offline Beginner

A while back I had put in a free email support ticket that went on for weeks changing support people several times. There is a point at which they ask if the help fixed your problem and/or go to a link. Since they didn't fix my problem, I left it at that. I got a call from MS support(which I didn't answer) asking me to reply/respond to that link, etc. This wasn't a random call but they do call.