Thread: Folders Won't Open in Windows 7

Blake23 is offline New Member

Default Folders Won't Open in Windows 7

When I select and click on a desktop folder, including Recovery Bin, the result is only a new listed operating program in the Task bar.

I suspect something has happened to Windows Explorer, but I can't figure out what.

I've run Malwarebytes, removed recently installed programs, ran file check, and attempted to roll back with System Restore.

Nothing revealed as a problem, except Sys Restore won't go back to any of the available points.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

p.s

Normal folders action in Safe boot mode.

Thanks

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

I see that you have already done a few things like Running antivirus, System Restore and Running System File Checker.

Try File Association Fixer to fix the folder file association and see if it helps you.

If it doesn't help you, maybe its some explorer.exe addon which is creating some issues. You may want to check them out!

sujay is offline New Member

@Blake23: As the function is normal in Safe Boot I think that is not related to file/folder association. This things mainly happen from malware infections. I saw you have run MBAM but that is not a full-fledged antimalware. I would suggest you to run something like ESET Online Scanner/Kaspersky AVP Tool/Dr Web Cure It!

Blake23 is offline New Member

Default Problem solved!

Thanks for both of these tips.

I ran the File Association Fixer, then the ESET Scanner (local version) 6 hours:

It found the following

111007082728876.rsc a variant of Win32/InstallCore.D application deleted - quarantined

111104083626131.rsc a variant of Win32/InstallCore.D application deleted - quarantined

(I'll contact Norton about my NIS not catching these.)

plus apparenttly the same in my compressedbackup files, which explains why I couldn't get rid of the problem by restoring the system.

Full operation not yet restored, I opted to run the Kaspersky AVP Tool for 5 more hours. I'm not sure if it found any viruses or not; it id'd some vulnerabilities for infection that I'll take care of tomorrow.

Anyway, all together these resulted in normal operation being restored!

Thanks very much!