Thread: What happens if I compact all local and offline folders to save disk space

frostyflix is offline New Member

Default What happens if I compact all local and offline folders to save disk space

When I delete an email I keep getting this message "Would you like to compact all local and offline folders to save disk space"

I want to know what happens if I do this.

Will it affect my laptop in any way.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Not a good idea for a variety of reasons.

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

hi !

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    why not ?

/

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    What do you mean with that answer. It means nothing and has wasted my time to look at it. I'm looking for proper help from people with a genuine response to my problem.
    If you genuinely want to help then I will appreciate it greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

why not ?

/
    G'day hackerman1,.,I certainly need to know why not. My laptop is running way below speed and not loading pages. It takes 24 hours to load a few minutes of video to youtube. I don't wanna mess it up further. I vaguely remember seeing something somewhere about not compacting things unless you're computer savvy with a big heap of data space. Everywhere I look to get help I'm offered free scan downloads to speed it up. Then I'm always asked to fix the problems by registering. I now know that this ALWAYS means,.,get ya credit card out.
    I aint gunna dish out my pension money every time this laptop hits the go slow button.

Crikey,.,this was my first question in this forum and look at the first reply I got.
    I readily admit having limited PC skills, and that answer from whs just makes me more frustrated. I simply carnt fathom why whs bothered to post that reply.

Anyhow, that's enuff whinging, I'm off to the rubberdub
    Last edited by frostyflix; 5th February 2012 at 00:07.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

In Windows Live Mail, under Options > Advanced > Maintenance, you may see an option to Compact the database on shutdown every 100 runs. I think the default is 100, but I have personally set it to 10, since I receive/send/delete a lot of mail.

When you delete or move an email, the now empty space gets a marker that the email has been deleted. However the space continues to remain in use. The folder then continues to grows in size. What this option does is eliminate the "gaps" and compact the database - and then create its new compact copy.

I presume its the same for most other email clients, including yours, so I think you can exercise that option.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyflix View Post
    When I delete an email I keep getting this message "Would you like to compact all local and offline folders to save disk space"

I want to know what happens if I do this.

Will it affect my laptop in any way.
    which email-client are you using ?

as i have understood the "compacting" it should be safe to do.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyflix View Post
    G'day hackerman1,.,
    My laptop is running way below speed and not loading pages. It takes 24 hours to load a few minutes of video to youtube....
    if your computer is slow and unresponsive in general, then it can hardly be caused by your email-folders.

please post some more detailed info about your computer: O/S, CPU, RAM, Harddisk etc.

yes, the post above by whs is useless as he doesn´t say why not....