Thread: Search indexer will not work

Moshie is offline New Member

Default Search indexer will not work

I have had this problem since inserted a extra drive in my computer. i had to move folders that were gradually filling up the main drive. so i added a new hdd, sata -Seagate 1tb. The folders i search through is to use as a database. which win7 index search is useful for this.

In index options in control panel, i have added the new drive to be indexed. and sometimes windows is indexing. sometimes i's not. i have made sure the drive is it is in the modify section of index options.

Also have rebuild the index from scratch again .

but after a few hours it says ----the index complete.

there is no restart button only a rebuild, which starts all over again.

but when i go this folder in the drive in question, to search, i don't get any results, even, if i know for certain the file name is there, by just going to the first folder and visually seeing the file name. the whole folder is approx 200gig. with 20 odd subfolder with apprx 8gig ea.

folder options /search .I've ticked -in indexed location search filenames and contents.

i've tried to restart the indexing by admin tools/services/right click-windows search options and click restart. but this only sometimes works. But at the moment i have 330194 items indexed, when it is indexing this number rises, then after a while stops and says - indexing complete. with not even looking like it is going to restart .like i said before, I then search the drive and no results. all other folders in the other drives work perfect.

i have also gone to admintools/services and r/c windows search and restart but still no good.

thanks anyone

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Pls see if the Microsoft Fix It mentioned here helps you. You may download and run it.

Moshie is offline New Member

installed-Locate32-
    freeware. this scanned and indexed in approx 5min and it finds results in approx 2secs. absolutely brilliant

thanks for all your help