Thread: Is Registry cleaning safe?

JaniceRL is offline New Member

Cool Is Registry cleaning safe?

I understand the concept that unused registry values would bog down a machine, but how many of these programs out there are safe. I really think I just had to format my HD, because of registry problem. I always backup the old registry, but if there has ever been a problem it has been so subtle that I don't notice at first. How do we know what to clean out, and what to leave alone...I usually tryst the programs I"m using, is this stupid?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

"To clean or not to clean the registry" - That has always been a debated point. Starting with Windows Vista, select portions of the registry were virtualized, as a result of which applications were prevented from writing to to the ‘machine wide keys’ in the registry. As a result of this, we see little residual registry junk in Windows 7, compared to what it was in Windows XP and earlier.

Nevertheless, even after using the control panel to uninstall programs, we still see that many orphaned registry entries are still left behind. In my opinion it is a good idea to use the registry cleaner occasionally if you install/uninstall programs frequently. Among freeware, I'd suggest CCleaner. It is pretty safe to trust it and delete all that its recommends.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

I wish you have already got the idea... but I recommend to use Registry Cleaners only and only when you know "What is to be removed?"

JaniceRL is offline New Member

Thank You, and thank you all....

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

They are a safe way to bring your system down. In addition they are absolutely not needed for Win7/8 or Vista.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

As you can see, there are a lot of conflicting opinions. Some say they are good to run occasionally, others say that they are not needed and can cause damage.

I've never had a single issue running CCleaner's registry cleaner. Never noticed any improvement, either.

But, SysInternals and now Microsoft Fellow has written about it in the past, and he doesn't care for them at all: Registry Junk: A Windows Fact of Life - Mark's Blog - Site Home - TechNet Blogs