Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desktop Icons disappearing??

shibumi is offline New Member

Default Desktop Icons disappearing??

hi there, as you can see I am a newbie to this forum so I hope someone can help. The problem is that my Icons have disappeared leaving only the name of the program showing, the programs are there only no Icon.

I down loaded the Windows Club Icon Cache rebuilder, ran the rebuilder and rebooted the system and the Icons returned, only to disappear again at the next reboot. I ran the rebuilder again and the Icons came back. How do I permanently keep the Icons showing?? and not having to run the rebuilder after each reboot. Many thanks. Shibumi.

Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, 64bit.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Look at this article to rebuild the icon cache. It usually fixes this problem: How to Rebuild the Icon Cache in Windows Vista and Windows 7 - The Winhelponline Blog

Hope this helps!

Hi there DustinH, thanks for the quick reply and link, I'll try it out in the morning and let you know the result, cheers, Shibumi.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

If I understand this right, the icons disappear during reboot (could be during shutdown too). Maybe there is a startup program that throws a monkey wrench.

I suggest you disable all startup programs for a test reboot the system and see what happens.

Hi whs, checked and startup programs are not the problem, as I said in my original thread, I down loaded the Windows Club Icon Cache rebuilder, ran the rebuilder and rebooted the system and the Icons returned,
    only to disappear again at the next restart, so something must be interfering with the icon folder, I haven't tried the above link from DustinH as yet as I am not too confident going into the registry and changing things,
    are there any more suggestions from anybody?? Many thanks, Shibumi.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

If your desktop shortcuts keep disappearing, the solution could have been different. But it is only your icons that are missing - the text remains. When you run Icon Cache Rebuilder it fixes the issue, but when you restart your computer, the problem appears again.

As has been mentioned, I think something during your startup or shutdown creates this problem. Could be some start up entry? A Service belonging to some 3rd party? Maybe you installed a theme? Maybe your desktop gets restored before shutting down? you may to check these again, and perhaps uninstall some recent program, which you suspect may be doing this.

Use Disk Clean utility to clear PC junk files etc, and scan your PC with your antivirus. Run sfc /scannow (System File Checker) and reboot. Now run Icon cache Builder as admin. Restart and see if it helps.

Hallo HappyAndyK, thanks for your input, I ran CCleaner and my antivirus (Malwarebytes & Superantispyware) all clear. Tried to run System File checker but it wouldn't open, it just flashed up and closed so perhaps we have found the problem,
    how do I now run SFC or better still how do I open it so that it can do it's job and restoring any corrupt filed?? I have tried to open it normally and as administrator but to no avail any help would be appreciated. Many thanks, Shibumi.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

You have to run cmd as admin, else sfc will not work.

And another suggestion. Put your desktop icons into a toolbar. Then they may stay.

hi, I can run cmd but not sfc, it will not open even as admin, thanks.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

To run the System File Checker in Windows 7 or Vista, type cmd in start search box. In the result, which appear, right click on cmd and select Run As Administrator.

In the command prompt window which opens, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.

The sfc utility will run for a while and if any corruptions are found, replace them on re-boot.

Alternatively, you can also download our very useful freeware utility FixWin and click on the System File Checker Utility button. This will run sfc.exe.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast