Thread: Odd 'puter problem this morning

Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast

Default Odd 'puter problem this morning

Making this with some difficulty because two of my 5 cats are feeling attention starved right now. But I digress.

I keep wanting to think it's just a fluke, but it couldn't hurt to ask around and be sure.

At about 5:35 this morning, while accessing my home system by remote access, I suddenly lost the connection. Froze up for several several seconds and I got "disconnected." That happens from time to time, usually due to ISP issues.

Problem is, the connection never returned. And when I called Comcast, they said the modem was just fine. When I got home, worrying that the hard drive was borked again (last time was March 7 2011), I found all the right lights lit up, but the screen was blank and no response to mouse input.

I poked the power button to induce a normal shutdown. Nothing happened. I did a hard shutdown by holding the power button down. Waited a few minutes. Restarted. Got "Windows did not shut down successfully," which is normal after a hard shutdown. I selected "Start Windows Normally" and everything has been normal since then.

Now I'm wondering what might have happened and what can I do to ensure it doesn't happen again?

On a related note, even if the hard drive was bricked, I wouldn't have lost anything. I have SyncBack set to run every three hours, backing up everything to an external hard drive and it's last run was 35min before the problem.

zigzag3143 is offline Microsoft MVP

Often when a connection is lost at one end the other computer doesnt realize it and is waiting for more information from the remote host.

If it is a one off I wouldnt worry about it, but if it starts happening more often you can probably set up both to re-start on idle (ie if no information in last 5 mins, etc)

There is a third party app (team viewer) (free) that has contingencies built in. With team view you can remote in edven if windows doesnt start. That my friend comes in handy if one has to remote administer a data center like I do.

I put my money on team viewer.

Good luck

Ken

Cloudchase is offline Windows Enthusiast

Thanx for your reply and suggestions!

So far, it hasn't happened again. Though when I went to start my system this (Monday) evening, a separate incident happened. when it should have put "loading windows" on the screen, the screen stayed black and I heard a beepcode that went like BeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeBeeeeeee... with the "B" happening every half second.

I did a hard shutdown, restarted, same thing. I did a hard shutdown, unplugged everything, took the battery out, held the power button for 20 seconds, put the battery back, plugged acey (AC power) back in, it started normally twice in a row.

I plugged everything back in except for my old Hp Pocket Media Drive because I thought that was the problem and restarted. I got BeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeBeeeeeee... again. I did a hard shutdown. I unplugged the USB hub into which my keyboard, mouse and printer is plugged and restarted. Restart went normally and the password screen appeared.

Thinking it had to be a problem with the USB hub or one of the devices plugged into it, I shut it down from the password screen, I plugged the Hp PMD and USB hub back in and restarted. Restart went normally. One at a time, I shut down from the password screen, plugged a device back into the hub and restarted.

The BeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeBeeeeeeeBeeeeeee... did not occur again, so I have no idea what happened. At least I can be sure that if something does happen to break my system, I won't lose anything thanx to SyncBack and it's under warranty until October 2013 at which point it'll be 3 years old and I'll probably be better of replacing it.