Thread: Windows 7 VPN Problems

wingugo is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 VPN Problems

Hi All.

I am using Windows & Ultimate on my Desktop and my laptop PC's. Both are clean installs with only additional installs of Open Office and Avast running on them.

I have recently created an incoming VPN connection on the Desktop Machine using all the default settings and I am sat behind a router.

I set up a VPN connection on the laptop (to connect to the listening connection on the desktop) again using all the default settings and have attempted to connect.

I have also turned off Windows firewall on both machines for now (just habbit when I set new things up).

Unfortunatly I get an Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.

The information I can find on the web (reading between the lines) suggests it has something to do with different protocols on each machine. But I have checked this and everything is the same on both the laptop and the desktop. Which you would expect given they are clean installs from the same source.

I remember this error years ago with a VPN problem (in windows NT I think) and funnily enough all the information I can find on this error via google relates to old OS's and proprietory vpn clients servers etc.

Can anyone hel with this / had a similar problem?

Yea
    Yea is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by wingugo View Post
    Hi All.

I am using Windows & Ultimate on my Desktop and my laptop PC's. Both are clean installs with only additional installs of Open Office and Avast running on them.

I have recently created an incoming VPN connection on the Desktop Machine using all the default settings and I am sat behind a router.

I set up a VPN connection on the laptop (to connect to the listening connection on the desktop) again using all the default settings and have attempted to connect.

I have also turned off Windows firewall on both machines for now (just habbit when I set new things up).

Unfortunatly I get an Error 720: A connection to the remote computer could not be established. You might need to change the network settings for this connection.

The information I can find on the web (reading between the lines) suggests it has something to do with different protocols on each machine. But I have checked this and everything is the same on both the laptop and the desktop. Which you would expect given they are clean installs from the same source.

I remember this error years ago with a VPN problem (in windows NT I think) and funnily enough all the information I can find on this error via google relates to old OS's and proprietory vpn clients servers etc.

Can anyone hel with this / had a similar problem?

Don't know if you still have the issue, I recently started having the issue (seemingly out of no-where); just thought I'd post my fix. I have SuperAntiSpyware on my computer (I'm not advertising for them, just don't want anyone to go through all the long hours I went through), there's a tool in the "Repairs" section of SAS called "Repair broken Network Connection (Winsock LSP Chain)". As the program states, please use with caution. Once I ran that, I had to restart as it did something in the registry. Once it came back up, BAM, fixed; after about a month of trying to fix it... BTW, it says it's only for Window Xp (the tool), but I used it on my Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, no issues. Hope this helps :-)

japp is offline Gold Member

Perhaps this helps?
    PPTP VPN on Windows 7 - error 720

mikedopp is offline New Member

Try checking your type of connection. If the connect is public or home I have found VPN doesnt work all that well. However if its Work Network it seems to work fine.