Thread: Display suddenly duplicating parts of the screen in other locations

MTerrien is offline Beginner

Default Display problems - refresh problems

I don't know if I can explain this correctly. I'm not sure what to call the problem. Last night, suddenly my computer monitor started displaying parts of the display over top of the orginal display in other locations. For instance in Microsoft Excel I'll be working and half the document duplicates itself in another location, say higher and to the left. The only way to correct the problem is to minimize than maximize. Continueing working and it will happen again. It's not limited to certain programs either. Adobe Photoshop, Sony Vegas Pro, etc. Even Internet Explorer. As I'm writing this thread if I open another tab to go to my email, part of the tab I was on appears over part of my email page. Internet Explorer has also started walking across the screen each time I open it. It moves left about an inch with each new opening until it reaches the left edge of the screen and will then open back at the right edge of the screen. I have a Samsung LCD monitor with a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT video card. I'm at a loss with what to do? I really need help with this one.

Last edited by MTerrien; 23rd April 2012 at 20:45. Reason: I was informed I posted incorrectly

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

if you need help with something then you should start with a proper topic for your thread....

"Help Help Help" doesn´t say anything about your problem.....

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Download the most recent drivers for your video card, if you haven't already: Drivers - Download NVIDIA Drivers

Default Display suddenly duplicating parts of the screen in other locations

I posted this problem earlier but was informed that the title I used was incorrect. Sorry, but as the thread states I didn't know how to title it.

I don't know if I can explain this correctly. I'm not sure what to call the problem. Last night, suddenly my computer monitor started displaying parts of the display over top of the original display in other locations. For instance in Microsoft Excel I'll be working and half the document duplicates itself in another location, say higher and to the left. The only way to correct the problem is to minimize and than maximize. Continuing working and it will happen again. It's not limited to certain programs either. Adobe Photoshop, Sony Vegas Pro, etc. Even Internet Explorer. As I'm writing this thread if I open another tab to go to my email, part of the tab I was viewing appeared over part of my email page. Internet Explorer has also started walking across the screen each time I open it. It moves left about an inch with each new opening until it reaches the left edge of the screen and will then open back at the right edge of the screen. I have a Samsung LCD monitor with a Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT video card. I'm at a loss with what to do? I really need help with this one.

I already had the latest driver for my video card, and since I just updated to that driver I uninstalled it and went back to the driver I had previously. Didn't help. I have noticed most of the duplicating of parts of the screen in other locations happens when I am scrolling with my wireless mouse. Has anyone ever heard of a Microsoft Mouse Driver causing a problem in this way?

I haven't head of it happening. But, check to see if your monitor is correctly identified in Device Manager and not a "Generic Monitor". Sometimes, the graphics card and monitor aren't syncing properly (different refresh rate, etc.) and it can cause graphic corruption.

Does it happen in Safe Mode?

I checked my monitor and refresh rate and it was okay. I also downgraded the mouse driver from Microsoft's 8.2 driver to a previous one, 6.1. Problem is now gone. I do find it unnerving that the mouse has been working just fine since November 2011 and now just decides to have a problem, makes no sense and I don't understand why. And talking to Microsoft like pulling teeth. It's all Microsoft, operating system, mouse and Microsoft Office software yet they don't work together. The mouse software has an option to list other software’s that the scroll wheel doesn’t work with correctly. Ironic that the Office software, a Microsoft product needed to be listed to get the scroll wheel to work in the first place. I find it unfair that they don't make their products work together.

Anyway, thanks to all who offered help and again I'm sorry for my first post with a bad subject.

Wow. I wonder if it was the "Smooth Scrolling" (something like that) feature that caused it? Probably a Windows Update that upgraded to the newer version.

Yes, you'd think Microsoft would put their products to the test before third party products while beta testing drivers and such. But, from what I've heard, Microsoft departments rarely work together and it's almost a completely different company only sharing the name.

Thanks for sharing your results! Glad you got your problem fixed!