Thread: How to remove old drivers from Roxio Media Creator 7 that cause dvd drive disappear

Zhen is offline New Member

Default How to remove old drivers from Roxio Media Creator 7 that cause dvd drive disappear

I installed Roxio Media Creator 7 on my Win7 laptop. I then made a slide show with it and burned to a DVD. But on the second day after reboot, the DVD drive disappeared. Eventually I found that the DVD drive has three drivers on the list to use. The first two come from Roxio (Cdr4_XP.sys, Cdralw2k.sys), the third is the original (cdrom.sys, by Microsoft). These Roxio old drivers are not digitally signed, but they seems to come first when the system is starting. Restart Window 7 by ignoring the no signature drivers will bring up the DVD drive, and it works fine. This confirms that there is no hardware problem and the problem may be those Roxio old drivers prevent the DVD from working. Other old drivers from Roxio (there are several other Roxio mark drivers in the driver folder) might also have prevented my C drive Image restoration.

So my only option seems to be: remove everything from Roxio! My question is: how to remove all those old drivers and may be many other garbage come with Roxio 7?

I have updated Roxio creator 7 with Roxio's update, but no help. I have uninstalled it with Revo Uninstaller, but all those drivers are still there in the system, together with 300 MB garbage in the Roxio folder. I manually deleted the Roxio folder, and rename those drivers by changing .sys to .rox as suggested in[ //corel.force.com/roxio/articles/en_US/Master_Article/Complete-Uninstall-of-Easy-CD-and-DVD-Creator-6? Complete Uninstall of Easy CD and DVD Creator 6 by Roxio.] But when I restart Windows, it does not work. Those drivers were regenerated from somewhere.

I've uninstalled DVD rom driver from the DVD property, and reinstalled the DVD, those roxio garbage drivers are still there.

Strangely, neither verify.exe nor sigverif.exe can find those Roxio drivers that clearly sit in the system driver folder. So several articles on drivers here at Windows Club won't help, so I need new helps.

Thank you very much for your help!
    Last edited by Zhen; 3rd May 2012 at 00:10.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Can you roll back the driver in device manager? Have your tried manually selecting the correct driver in device manager? It sounds like you know what you are doing, and you've done a lot of what usually works, so I'm just throwing out suggestions that may have already been tried or may not work...

I don't know how to roll back. and I don't know how to select which driver to use for a device. Three drivers were listed in the driver details of the DVD in device manager, and those two old unsigned drivers from roxio were listed on top. I can not change the order. No options available (nothing happen with right click).

I used to restore the whole system (C drive) with acronis true image, which I thought should be the simplest. But now it won't work, and I guess some other drivers or the like from roxio must have caused this problem.

Because Acronis used to work perfectly, I turn off Windows system restore. I was trying to turn it on again since I am working on these system files, but I can not either--again something must have been changed by roxio, at least together with microsoft's signature verification.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

Ah. I see. When you turn off System Restore, it turns off the ability to roll back the drivers, AFAIK.

You can try this method: How To Install Hardware Or Device Drivers Manually In Windows 7 / Vista and select the cdrom.sys driver (if it says you are already current and doesn't work, then try again but select the 'Let me pick..." option and select the cdrom.sys driver. This should override the Roxio drivers and go back to the Microsoft ones.

Another option is to open Device Manager and delete the DVD drive, and select the "Remove device drivers" when removing. Then go to Action... and Scan for hardware changes. This should find the DVD drive again and use the old Microsoft driver (as the Roxio was deleted, hopefully).

It does not work. "Update driver software" does let me "select the device driver", and also showed only one digitally signed "CD-ROM drive". But after I click next, it said "Windows encountered a problem installing the driver software for your device" and "Windows can not verify the digital signature for the driver required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from unknown source (code 52)"

It is strange that it did not show the exact driver name (i.e., cdrom.sys)

Uninstall DVD Rom drive-->scan hardware changes-->DVD drive back up, but nothing change--still an exclamation mark on the drive, and three drivers listed with roxio garbage come first.