Thread: Advised to change Permission now can't access entire partition! Help guys!

Sandy451 is offline New Member

Default Advised to change Permission now can't access entire partition! Help guys!

Hello,

I requested help on another forum asking how I can prevent other users from accessing a particular partition, G:\, that I have as the default directory for most of my data files, pictures, documents, favorites etc. I followed their instructions and deleted the Authenticated Users and Users under the ownership tab for security. I left the System and administrator permissions.

I now can't access the drive at all from any account. I get "location is not available" and "G:\ is not accessible. Access is denied." I tried a system restore to an earlier point but nothing changed.

How can I get back to where I was? Help!

I have included the instructions given to me as I executed them exactly.

Thanks for any help you guys can give me!

>>>>>>>>>>Here is what a guy told me to do >>>>>>>>

To make drive G: accessible to you only you do this:
    1.Make sure this is an NTFS partition. The Disk Manager (diskmgmt.msc) will tell you.
    2.Open Windows Explorer and navigate to drive G:
    3.Right-click it, left-click Properties, then click the Security tab.
    4.Click Edit.
    5.Click the Remove button for all accounts except your own and System.
    6.Log on under the Visitor account to check the effectiveness of Step 5.

•Keep System and Administrators
    •Add your own account and give it "Full" access.
    •Delete the rest

These are the users I had. I removed Users and Authenticated Users as instructed.
    >>>>
    Authenticated Users
    System
    Administrators
    Users (HP/laptop users)
    Last edited by Sandy451; 5th November 2012 at 20:27. Reason: additional info

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

Hi there!

Login as administrator. Then remove all the permission if it's not allowing then go to advance security remove all the permissions then add Everyone permission. You may need to Take Ownership of the drive. Take a look at this article http://forum.thewindowsclub.com/wind...s-windows.html