Thread: Making multiple partitions of a Single partitioned drive

karthiksai is offline New Member

Default Making multiple partitions of a Single partitioned drive

Hi friends, i recently bought a dell inspiron 14r laptop. It came with windows 7 Home premium which was pre-installed. The problem with it is, the whole 640GB was allotted to a single drive C. I want to repartition the hard disk into 6 drives. But they didnot gave me the windows 7 installation disk or its serial. What should i do now?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

There are definitely more than 1 partition on the drive. The fact that you are only seeing 1 partition in Computer only means that the other partitions have no letter. You better first look in Disk Management what the whole story is.

If you already have 4 primary partitions, you cannot create any further partitions without some major surgery. If you have only 3 or less primary partitions, you can create an extended partition and further logical partitions.

I suggest you post a picture of your Disk Management so that we can have a look and advise you.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

zamira is offline New Member

A free partition software called MiniTool Partition Wizard can help you solve your problem. Please make sure if you only have one drive, if yes, use this MiniTool freeware to partition your OS. Hope this can help you. Good luck!

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by zamira View Post
    A free partition software called MiniTool Partition Wizard can help you solve your problem. Please make sure if you only have one drive, if yes, use this MiniTool freeware to partition your OS. Hope this can help you. Good luck!
    Why use an unknown software for partitioning ?
    And, windows 7 diskmanager works very well, so why would you need a 3rd-party software for the job ?
    Last edited by hackerman1; 13th November 2012 at 00:23.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    Why use an unknown software for partitioning ?
    And, windows 7´s own diskmanager works very well, so why would you need a 3rd-party software for the job ?
    Partition Wizard is not an unknown tool. It is being widely used and praised. You definitely need it when you want to shrink a partition to the maximum. Disk Management cannot move the MFT and therefore you can only shrink a small portion of the freespace. Partition Wizard can move the MFT and therefore shrink a partition to it's maximum freespace.

Besides, Partition Wizard comes a bootable CD or USB stick and can be used when the OS is not oprational - e.g. to fix problems like partition activation etc.

zamira is offline New Member

Yeah, it's a great software company. I love the software.
    Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Partition Wizard is not an unknown tool. It is being widely used and praised. You definitely need it when you want to shrink a partition to the maximum. Disk Management cannot move the MFT and therefore you can only shrink a small portion of the freespace. Partition Wizard can move the MFT and therefore shrink a partition to it's maximum freespace.

Besides, Partition Wizard comes a bootable CD or USB stick and can be used when the OS is not oprational - e.g. to fix problems like partition activation etc.

jaysonkurt is offline Beginner

Just to add to the 3rd party tool, Easeus Partition Manager is a very good free tool which I used almost every time I need to do something in my partitions.