Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Problems with some .exe files - Windows 7 automatically modifies it

Bruno1 is offline New Member

Default Problems with some .exe files - Windows 7 automatically modifies it

Hello

I'm new here and I don't know if this problem has been discussed before.

My problem is this: Whenever I start some .exe file, Windows 7 automatically modifies it. For instance, when I look at the date when the program was last modified, it says 2009 or something and after running it, it says 2013. This also prevents from running the program again and in one case the program even disappeared.

Any help on this problem would be very much appreciated! I've been searching the net for a solution, but haven't found even a forum where this problem is being discussed. If there is more information needed, please feel free to ask. Also, my OS is a 32-bit system.

Regards

Bruno

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

This is a new one for me. I can understand Last Accessed dates being modified - but not the exe file disappearing. Maybe the exe file updated (from the Internet) when you ran it ... ???

Can we take a specific example? Lets take a common exe program, and then tell us what exactly is happening when you do what.

Thanks for replying. For a specific example, let's take 'Canon IJ Network Scan Utility.exe'.

When I start the program, it briefly starts up before shutting itself down. By then you can also notice that it has been modified. If I try to run the program again, it simply vanishes before my eyes. I hope this helps, because there is nothing more that I can do with this program.

Side note: The program installed perfectly on Windows XP before. But when I updated my OS, the problem started to occur. I noticed something was wrong, because when installing it on Windows 7, the .exe file was missing. But I have the program on my laptop, so I copied it from there.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Logically speaking. Something is making your .exe files shut down. It cant really be the Os. It has to be some other software - or then maybe malware.

Use CCleaner ir similar tool to clear up PC junk. Run sfc /scannow to replace corrupt OS files if any and run an in-depth scan of your antivirus software.

Hope someone else has better ideas...

Capt.Jack is offline Moderator

I agree with Anand. You might wanna download Malwarebytes and run a complete scan. It does sounds like Malware.

First of all, sorry for the late reply. I've tried your suggestions but to no avail.

1) sfc /scannow didn't find anything.
    2) Malwarebytes: the .exe file has the same problem, so I just can't run it.
    3) CCleaner: It didn't fix the problem that I'm having.

Also, I've encountered another problem. My desktop window manager stops working on startup and I can't get it back to work. However, I don't think this is related to the .exe files problem. The strange thing is that this prevents me from using my internet browser (Firefox). I do get my internet browser to work when I boot in safe mode. Clean boot still gives the error message. I don't know what I can tell more about this.

Anyway, because of this probem, I've run chkdsk /R and that didn't solve both problems either. So maybe it has something to do with the registers? But CCleaner already cleaned that too. Or if anyone knows another program to remove malware, since Malwarebytes doesn't work for me?

If there is anything else that you would like to know, please let me know. I'll give you all the information you need.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

I've tried everything on that site and still nothing. I've managed to open Malwarebytes in safe mode, so that's something, but it just stops working each time when I try to scan. It's so frustrating.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Looks like you have a nasty one.

Follow the instructions in the linked post below starting where it says "If you're still experiencing issues after running the above procedures then please follow the instructions below."

This will help you create some logs to post to Malwarebytes and they will work with you one on one to solve your problem.

I'm infected - What do I do now? - Malwarebytes Forum,

Thanks for your help. I'll try that after I try windows defender offline. Then I'll let know what it was and if it was resolved.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast