Thread: Network & Homegroup Problem

MTerrien is offline Beginner

Default Network & Homegroup Problem

I have 2 Windows 7 computers and a printer on a home network. I have always been able to share files between the 2 computers. Recently I changed ISP's from Comcast to AT&T. For some reason when this happened it changed my home network name from 'Network' to 'Network 2' When that happened I lost connection to my HP printer. I tried everything I could think to resolve the problem including talking to HP (Which was no help). I eventually bought a new Epson printer and had no problem installing it on my network, 'Network 2' that is. Since then I renamed one of my computers and now file sharing has become a problem. Computer 2 can access the files on Computer 1 but Computer 1 can't access files on computer 2. When I try to access it wants a username and password. Each computer has a username with Administrator privileges but I don't have any passwords on either computer. I have tried everything I can think of to remedy this situation but I must be missing something. I even removed Computer 2 from the Homegroup and put it back in. Same problem. Ironically sometimes after Computer 2 accesses Computer 1's files, Computer 1 is able to access Computer 2's files, just not all the time and once you’re in your only in until a restart of Computer 2. I realize this is confusing and I'm not an expert but I never had this many problems with Windows XP. I have made so many changes at the folder level under sharing and security and I seem to be stuck with the ‘Network 2’ name but I'm afraid I may have made things a lot worse with all these changes. Considering that, I thought maybe I should delete the entire Network and Homegroup and start over, only thing is I don't know how to delete the Network. I would think this should be easier but obviously not for me. Can anyone advise me? I am open to any suggestions.

roraniel is offline Gold Member

Homegroup appears to be more stable in Windows 8.

When I was on Windows 7, I would loose connection to a computer every so often. The only solution I found was to start over with the Homegroup setup. I would remove all my computers from the homegroup then reboot them all and setup a new home group.

Hope this helps.

MTerrien is offline Beginner

I tried to delete the Homegroup and re-create it a number of times. Doesn't work. Without a Homegroup the problems are strangely the same. One computer can see the other computer and still access some files. The other computer gets a request for username and password just clicking on the computers network icon. So I'm guessing this is a network problem. So can someone help me delete and re-create the network?

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

Did you try running the built-in Network & Internet Diagnostic & Repair Tool in Windows 7?