Thread: recovering network communications after botched windows update

winwonder is offline New Member

Question recovering network communications after botched windows update

A few days ago, I had to reboot my Compaq Presario laptop, which I generally leave running. There were various weirdnesses involving being unable to kill a bittorrent client and Thunderbird taking more than 1GB of memory and then freezing.

As I generally do when I have to reboot, I run windows update to pick up whatever is available, since many such updates require a reboot. In this case, my Avira virus protection software gave me an alert about a few files, including one or two DLLs being infected, and suggesting they be moved to the quarantine, which I approved, though I knew they must have to do with the update.

Well, as soon as I rebooted, the operating system crashed - following a minute or two of setup. I got an ugly message that filled the screen, and said something about a memory dump - but was gone before I had a chance to read it all. :-( It talked about recently-installed hardware and such (I had been trying to get an old Kensington vidcam to work, but discovered there are no drivers for it beyond Win98), but it was unplugged, and I had not installed anything on its behalf (I had installed some driver scanner thing, but if it were the source of the virii, Avira would have complained during the installation, I think).)

After several more reboots, I discovered that if I unplugged my network cable AND turned off the wi-fi transceiver, the system would continue to run. I was also able to see that there had been two Windoze update failures - both relating to IE10, which I never use anyway. I assume the DLLs that got quarantined are related to IE, but maybe there are others that got uninstalled and were supposed to be replaced by something that got quarantined.

In any event, for the past couple of days, I've been running Knoppix on the machine from a USB stick so I can transfer enough files from one partition to my Linux box so I can do a proper backup of the system partition. In restoring the system, I'd like to be able to avoid doing a full reinstall, since I have so much other stuff installed. HP provides a "recovery" disk set, but I suspect it wipes the entire system partition in the course of doing what it does - there's also a "Windows 7 Repair disk" - but I don't know whether it's able to fix this sort of problem.

After I rebooted with the networking disabled, I discovered that there were no restore points defined, though I thought I had that feature enabled, so using what's described, in a Microsoft URL I'm not allowed to post as a newbie, that method seems not to be an option for me, unless I discover that there actually are useful restore points hiding somewhere (I'm sure I've seen a message being produced during previous windows updates saying that a restore point is being created). Someone on the #windows IRC channel at freenode.net suggested uninstalling network drivers and then downloading them and using a USB stick to transfer them. The downloading and transferring is not a problem for me, but I need instructions on how to do the driver uninstall and where to find the replacement drivers.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good course of action that might let me fix whatever needs fixing without having to do a complete re-install? (I assume that if I do have to use the recovery disks to reinstall the system, there is no easy way of recovering anything except data files from the backup I plan to do soon, since when things get installed properly, the system registry is updated in various ways. Then I'd have to go through all the software I use reconfiguring each one, which is something I very much want to be able to avoid, as well as trying to figure out how to get a fresh copy of Thunderbird to know about local files I have saved in some Appdata subfolder, etc.)

And, of course, I'd like advice as to whether that option sounds like a reasonable one. And again, I'd like to get an idea as to whether the "Windows 7 Repair" disk I created quite some time ago might be at all useful in this situation.

Thanks!!

Last edited by winwonder; 21st March 2013 at 21:18. Reason: added information

Default update

After posting the initial item here, I went to the #windows IRC channel where a couple of people suggested that I uninstall the driver for the card, and Windoze would automatically load another one in its place after a reboot. I got the (Realtek) driver uninstalled, but no new driver was installed, and I still get the bsod under those same conditions as before. However, after having disabled the auto-reboot, I can now at least read what's on the bsod (which, unfortunately, is nothing really all that helpful).

Now I'm looking for a way to use the Windows 7 Repair disk. It seems to need to be pointed to a disk driver, and I have no idea what to select. I assume it means something in the "system32/drivers" folder, but there's nothing obvious there.

For more info about my hardware configuration, please see http://webruary.org/netcard.txt . (Can someone please upgrade my status so I can use real URLs? Tnx.
    Last edited by HappyAndyK; 22nd March 2013 at 17:03. Reason: Linked

Thanks to HappyAndyK for producing the link for me. However, it appears I can still not use them myself (I tried in the following paragraph, but got an error message, so I had to go back to a simple text string).

Since posting the above, I have continued to work on the problem, mainly on the basis of advice I have obtained in the #windows IRC channet on FreeNode. I described the problem in more detail at webruary.org/pc_fix/ . I am about at a point where I feel that it may be too much trouble to attempt a repair, and I will likely have to rebuild the system, recovering whatever I can.

If anyone has any suggestions, please send them soon, since I cannot delay too much longer.,

Thanks.