DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Thread: The Device Hard Disk has a bad block

DanCooley is offline Beginner

Default The Device Hard Disk has a bad block

When using this disk - WD Elements external hard disk, I get the event viewer error many times: The device \Device\Harddisk6\DR7 has a bad block

When I run chkdsk /f /r on this disk it cannot find nor repair any errors

When I run AOMEI surface test it reports several bad sectors.

Hook into Windows 10

Very quickly it says we have scanned this disk and it has no errors, would you like to scan anyway. When I say yes, it scans quickly and says no errors.

Back to Windows 7, disk error again.

What should I do?

Doug_72 is offline Senior Member

The only advice I would have to give is to run chkdsk /r and that is something you have already done.

Well, don't depend on the disk now as there is a possibility that it could fail.

Perhaps you could connect it to Windows 10, backup your data and hard format it and see.

Hinflid is offline New Member

Quote Originally Posted by Doug_72 View Post
    The only advice I would have to give is to run chkdsk /r and that is something you have already done.

Well, don't depend on the disk now as there is a possibility that it could fail.

Perhaps you could connect it to Windows 10, backup your data and hard format it and see.
    don't depend on the disk now as there is a possibility that it could fail.

Lewis-H is offline Windows Enthusiast

CHKDSK is a built-in utility in Windows that can be used to scan and fix your hard drive error caused by bad sectors, improper or sudden shutdowns, corrupted software, and Meta data corruption. CHKDSK scan is the most common way to fix “the Device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has a Bad Block” issue.

Here is a full guide on using this built-in utility to fix bad hard disk block error.

Step 1. Press Win + R key to call out a Run dialog box. Then type “cmd” in the box and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter to open up an elevated Command Prompt. Click Yes to run as administrator when prompted by the UAC (User Account Control).

open up an elevated Command Prompt
    Step 2. Inside the elevated Command Prompt, type the following command and hit Enter to run the CHKDSK scan command: chkdsk /f /r (Note that there is a space in front of the slash).

type the chkdsk /f /r command and hit enter

Step 3. As is shown, you will be asked whether you would like to schedule this operation to be checked the next time, type the letter Y and then hit Enter to schedule it.

click the letter Y to check the hard drive at the next reboot
    Step 4. Reboot your computer, then this built-in utility will check and fix the hard drive errors automatically at the next system startup.

Note: Please make sure your computer keeps running while performing the CHKDSK scan. If your computer is shut down or out of power accidentally during this process, the HDD or SSD might suffer irreversible damage and make your Windows installation unusable.
    Step 5. Open the Event Viewer to see if ‘’the Device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 has a Bad Block” still can be seen in new events.