Thread: Windows Media Player & System Restore fail to open

Brianne163 is offline New Member

Cool Windows Media Player & System Restore fail to open

Hi Folks

I am having two major problems with my Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit computer.
    They have cropped up in the last two weeks.
    There has been an update in that time I feel which may or may not be relevant.

1. The first one I noticed was that Windows Media Player failed to open at all.
    I normally have had to re register jscript.dll as Administrator to get it to work ok after a reboot and it has always been ok after that.

I have tried various fixes including uninstalling it from Windows Features and then attempting after a reboot to reinstall the feature.

When I tick the media Centre boxes to reinstall and click ok a window pops up saying it could take some time.
    I have left it for an hour and it still sits there.

Only way to close it is to Ctrl/Alt Del and end process. It then tells me it is waiting for a user input .
    I cannot for the life of me see where or what input is needed so I go ahead and close it. This of course cancels the ticks I put in Features.

I have run the FixWMP utility from your site and it appears to do things in the background ok.
    Go to start Wmplayer and the main screen comes up but is totally blank and has the hourglass spinning.
    Will not allow me to close the window so again I have to use Task Mgr to close it.
    My preference is to use Wmplayer as opposed to another player.

2. The second problem is that System Restore is not opening at all.
    It is not showing in Services either
    I have tried running rstrui from a cmd prompt but to no avail.

Brian

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator