Thread: Enable Auto Logon in Windows 7 - Domain Controlled PC vs Non-Domain Controlled PC

Beekay is offline New Member

Default Enable Auto Logon in Windows 7 - Domain Controlled PC vs Non-Domain Controlled PC

Upon booting a recently acquired non-domain controlled Windows7 PC, no credentials (username & password) were presented as a requirement to log onto the computer.

Curious to understand why, I performed each of the following tasks, however, the results of each task appear to be a contradiction regarding the status of my system.

First Task: I ran the Start Menu \ type: Run \ Select Run \ type: control userpasswords2 command.

First Task Result: User Accounts dialog box appeared but unexpectedly, a checkmark appeared next to the following option:

Users must enter a username and password to use this computer.

Question: Why is it that the Users must enter a username and password to use this computer option can be selected; yet I’m not required to enter a username & password on this non-domain controlled Windows7 PC machine?

Second Task: I performed the following task on this non-domain controlled Win7 PC:

Start Menu \Control Panel \ User Accounts and Family Safety \ User Accounts \ Create a password for your account

Second Task Result: The User Accounts screen presented the password fields without a password (fields were blank)

Question: Do the blank fields for the “Create a password for your account” option imply or indicate that no password is currently required for login using this User Account?

Third Task: I opened Credential Manager

Third Task Result: The Windows Credential screen indicated “No Windows Credentials”, No certificates and a generic credentials entry that should have no impact on the user accounts.

Question: Does “No Windows Credentials” in Credential Manager mean that no credentials are stored and that no credentials are required to log into this computer?.

I hope this isn't a crazy question... just curious if there are credentials stored on a non-domain controlled Windows7 PC that I'm not seeing based on the fact that none are required upon login.

Much appreciate any help/comments. Peace.

Beekay.

powercutIN is offline New Member

It depends upon whether the user created ID and password while installing the OS. I am not an SME on the topic but I guess there are no credentials stored when credentials are not required to login. Maybe the values of ID and password is just NULL. If there are no passwords, it sure will show blank boxes - as it fetches data from Credential Manager.

powercutIN is offline New Member

For question 1, the values of ID and password are set to NULL in credential manager. If you select Üsers must enter ID and passoword, the OS will display a login screen that can be bypassed just by pressing the Enter key. Basically, the two fields are blank.

For question 2, the text boxes will appear empty as the password is NULL.

FOr the third question, credentials are stored but as NULL.

Beekay is offline New Member

Default Windows 7 - Enable Auto Logon?? - Thanks

Thanks for the reply... my local network has a MACbook that asks for credentials to the Win7PC that has no credentials; at least I have not found them yet. Perhaps there's some default or work-around for my Macbook to access this WinPC on my network - eventually I'll figure it out. Thanks!