DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disable or Remove Metro UI in Windows 8 CP?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Corrine View Post
    If after trying the new Metro start screen, you want to have the desktop at startup, see the instructions at Group Policy Central by Microsoft MVP Alan Burchill, The must have Windows 8 Start Menu Group Policy Setting.

As Alan reports, "The “Do not show the Start Menu when the user logs in” policy allows you to boot the OS into the more familiar desktop and not the Metro start menu."

The setting is located at User Configuration > Policies > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar.
    Thanks for the info, but that doesn´t work on W8 Consumer Preview !
    Also, the path is NOT correct, which caused some confusion until i found the setting...
    The right path is: User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Start Menu and Taskbar.

The info on the website has been updated with new info: "It only works in W8 Server-beta !"

The Helptext says :"This group policy only applies to the Windows Server 8 Beta with the Desktop Experience Pack installed.

If you enable this setting, the user will see the desktop after logging in to a new session, instead of seeing the Start menu. The Start Menu will continue to function as normal, except that it will not show automatically after login.

If you disable this setting or do not configure it, the Start Menu will appear after the user logs in to a new session."

Default Make Windows 8 show desktop after logon

hi !

Atleast i´ve found one trick that makes Windows 8 automatically show the desktop after logon:

"Create a Show Desktop shortcut in Startup folder. First off, open the Startup folder.
    C:\Users\<User Profile>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup
    Now, select Shortcut option from New right-click context menu and enter the following Show Desktop shortcut command.

C:\Windows\explorer.exe shell:::{3080F90D-D7AD-11D9-BD98-0000947B0257}

Once done, give shortcut an appropriate name and click Finish to end the wizard."

This actually works !
    But there is a few seconds delay....

The second method mentioned on that website using Eventviewer & Taskscheduler does NOT work.

Bypass Windows 8 Start Screen On Startup & Jump Directly To Desktop
    Last edited by hackerman1; 5th March 2012 at 13:05.

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

The easiest way to get rid of the Metro is to use Windows 7. But seriously, what is the point of using Windows 8 if you do not want to use it's facilities.
    Corrine likes this.

rkonit is offline Gold Member

Start Menu is past now... Move on Start screen.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    The easiest way to get rid of the Metro is to use Windows 7. But seriously, what is the point of using Windows 8 if you do not want to use it's facilities.
    because, we all have to, sooner or later.
    W7 won´t be supported forever.
    also, w8 is faster than W7....

PinkIsland is offline Beginner

I just recently switched to Win 8 and I have to say that I don't like the metro UI. It's not the worst but it is plain simpler and faster to have a start menu. So after searching extensively online I found a program that brings back the start button and a start menu. I will warn you ahead of time that it doesn't look exactly or function exactly like the start menu in Win 7 but I approve of it more than Metro. here is a link to download it. works with Win 8 CP both 32 and 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by PinkIsland View Post
    I just recently switched to Win 8 and I have to say that I don't like the metro UI. It's not the worst but it is plain simpler and faster to have a start menu. So after searching extensively online I found a program that brings back the start button and a start menu. I will warn you ahead of time that it doesn't look exactly or function exactly like the start menu in Win 7 but I approve of it more than Metro. here is a link to download it. works with Win 8 CP both 32 and 64 bit.
    hi !

which program is that ?

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

Why would anybody want to remove the Metro. It is like anything new. At first you are a bit disoriented but after a while it grows on you. I now find the new Start and the All Apps very handy and easier to operate than the old scheme.

And I would not worry about those people that will go to Linux - they will be back soon because if they do not like change, they are in for a big surprise.

Its called windows classic shell. It won't let me post links but if you google "Windows classic Shell" it will be the first one that pops up. It is a source forge site. PM if you have any trouble finding it.

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Why would anybody want to remove the Metro. It is like anything new. At first you are a bit disoriented but after a while it grows on you. I now find the new Start and the All Apps very handy and easier to operate than the old scheme.

And I would not worry about those people that will go to Linux - they will be back soon because if they do not like change, they are in for a big surprise.
    Because metro isn't very useful on my laptop. I have no use for it. I learned where stuff was at and I don't see the benefit. Its like using Launchpad on my mac computer. I don't use it because there is no use on a desktop. On a tablet sure, I'm sure the metro it great for phones and tablets but I don't want or need big "live tiles" on my computer. I'm not knocking it, if it increases your productivity or seems easier to use for you, then good. But to me it just doesn't offer any benefits. I do like Win 8 aside from that. Especially that new task manager, looking good.
    Linux is a great operating system. and the Gnome 3 is revolutionary IMO. I wish I could make windows look like that. I prefer WIN over Linux because I think that it offers better programs and I much prefer its file system.
    Last edited by PinkIsland; 20th April 2012 at 17:57.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast