DOWNLOAD: Best tool to repair Windows problems & optimize system performance | Best driver update software for your PC

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Disable or Remove Metro UI in Windows 8 CP?

hackerman1 is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by whs View Post
    Why would anybody want to remove the Metro.
    Because itīs horrible and completely useless...

whs
    whs is offline Gold Member

I guess it is like the new taskbar during the Windows 7 Beta. Most people did not want it ands now they cannot live without it.

PinkIsland is offline Beginner

I guess. I always liked the taskbar.

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by hackerman1 View Post
    hi !

How can i remove / disable Metro UI in Windows 8 Consumer Preview?
    Hi,

The file under System32 folder named twinui.dll.mui is mainly responsible for Metro interface of Windows 8.

If you tweak this file and replace the default file with tweaked file, after restarting explorer or reboot, you'll lose all the Metro Stuff.

On more thing noticeable here is that you can directly boot to desktop without going Start Screen

The only disadvantage of this is Windows 8 then looks like Windows 95 or you'll feel that you're running the pirated version (non-genuine) windows. But on safe side you can disable Metro.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

After finding the alternative locations for things, it gets a lot easier. But, the complaints with Vista and 7 were that things moved from where they were originally. This thing just takes that times 1000. It works, but it's not easy to find everything.

It works on a tablet because a tablet is limited. Desktops have SO many capabilities that you can have a few dozen applications that each have multiple icons and settings. Desktops have more than just "Settings". They have dozens of programs that change the settings on multiple areas of the PC. You have pretty much unlimited control, and you need access to those controls easily. It isn't just a launcher, anymore. The OS has evolved from that. But, it seems like it is going back to just a launcher of programs.

Similar to a model rocket and the Apollo. Model rocket, you just need one button: Go. Apollo, you have a lot more control and needs. You require a much more interactive interface to get what you need done.

I like Metro, and I'm getting used to it on the desktop. But, it's far from perfect. I'm a techy, too, so I can pick up on it faster than the 70 year old grandmother that uses it to check email. BTW: how is phone support going to be? Click on the invisible area in the lower left hand corner. There isn't any icon there to click on, just click in that general area. People want to click on visible items. If it's not there, it's missing. They won't know to go to the side to make the charms pop out. There just isn't anything there. No visual clues to show anything is there. It's not there until you go find it. It's not Where's Waldo.

I like Metro, I really do. But, it's not perfect and has some shortcomings that could use some refinement.

DustinH is offline Senior Member

I'd like to see a more customized Metro. Some of the features are excellent. Others need some work. I'd like a checklist (similar to customizing the Start menu in Windows XP-7) with various settings to change what you want.

Maybe it's coming in the RTM, maybe not.

Quote Originally Posted by Kapil Arya View Post
    Hi,

The file under System32 folder named twinui.dll.mui is mainly responsible for Metro interface of Windows 8.

If you tweak this file and replace the default file with tweaked file, after restarting explorer or reboot, you'll lose all the Metro Stuff.

On more thing noticeable here is that you can directly boot to desktop without going Start Screen

The only disadvantage of this is Windows 8 then looks like Windows 95 or you'll feel that you're running the pirated version (non-genuine) windows. But on safe side you can disable Metro.

Kapil Arya is offline Microsoft MVP

Quote Originally Posted by DustinH View Post
    I'd like to see a more customized Metro. Some of the features are excellent. Others need some work. I'd like a checklist (similar to customizing the Start menu in Windows XP-7) with various settings to change what you want.

Maybe it's coming in the RTM, maybe not.
    Yeah.. we must wait for RTM. Release Preview expected in June is also a big hope

jabtano is offline New Member

I like the metro, I whish there was more options for customizing. it feels very WP7 ish in the fact that there is limited color options. Would be nice to have the live tiles the colors you want.the other beef for me is when in metro and reading mail the links do not always open the browser to the link but rather it opens in the last page seen before. Talking about the new browser I like and dislike it.all the pined places are static I can't move them to where I want them to be like I could in a browser folder this drives me nuts. as for the desktop mode the same I dislike not have that darn start button there, Metro over all is ok on the desktop and I think that I would really like it on a tablet. but the lack of customizing is well... I have been using win8 as my stand alone OS, for the past month mostly because my old xp hard drive died and the New hard drive xp wouldn't install on so I did this download to try before going out and buying a new computer.. I figured if I like it I will buy a windows machine if not an apple. I use WP7.5 what I want is my phone tablet and pc to be as one no matter where I am. for work and play. MS is falling so far back in the mobility world for being so dam slow. I don't think there is a recovery here. they just will not let you customize things that should be. and they make it to be a pain in the ass to use.
    Last edited by jabtano; 14th May 2012 at 21:21.

edee is offline Windows Enthusiast

Exclamation

Well looks like the Metro UI is not going anywhere.

This just in ........

Microsoft has announced that unlike in earlier versions where users were able to get around the Metro UI and boot directly to the desktop in Windows 8, well no more. In the RTM version MS has removed the code that allowed this which will now force users to boot directly into the Metro UI, whether you like it or not.

Windows 8 users forced to boot into Metro UI

Nice move Bill! your just going to cram the MS store right down everyone's throat, aren't you?

I am SOooooooo glad I have no intentions of using this crapware
    Last edited by edee; 10th August 2012 at 20:55.

HappyAndyK is offline Site Administrator

^ Yes. Windows 8 UI will take some time getting used to.

But folks are not liking it, looks like. Read the comments here.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast